Mac Pro - Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hazonmeister, Dec 31, 2009.

1. hazonmeister macrumors newbie

I'm looking to purchase a Mac Pro. I was all set to finance one for my business and then saw on a few rumor sites that an update is possibly coming in or around March. The new system looks like it will be an improvement on the current one so from that point of view I should wait. I guess my question is this: Do you think the new model would be pricier than the current one or about the same? Do Apple typically lower the price for the current units when a new one is on the horizon?

Any thoughts/information would be appreciated!

2. hwhalers macrumors regular

Nobody knows if the price'll go up, but the 6-Core chips that are rumored to be used are not as cheap as the current 4-Core units, which would lead me to believe it'll go up.

What applications are you needing to run? Are they multithreaded? If they are, wait. You'll probably see a significant increase in performance with the theoretical 12-Core MP. At the same time, the dodecacore model may cost more than the current octocore, making it prohibitive. In which case you'll either have to get a used octocore or 'settle' for a hexacore.

If they aren't multithreaded, do you need to use a lot of RAM? If so, wait, as the new models will most likely be able to use more than the 32GB maximum in the octocore MP.

IMO, If I was using applications that aren't multithreaded and I didn't think I'd need (or really want) 32GB+ of RAM before my next system upgrade, I'd buy one now.

But, luckily (unluckily?) for me I need mine for scientific applications, compilation, and 3D graphics/video rendering/compressing tasks, and I'm planning to wait for the next models. Hopefully they don't skyrocket in price too much.

3. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

it all depends as to what you are going to do [​IMG]
    the new ones a reported to have 6core and 32gb+ ram capabilities which would be really useful for people like the guy above, but if your just a mild video editor or programmer or something, there's little point getting one, especially when they will no doubt me more expensive due to the 6-core. If you aren't doing super intensive stuff then just buy now, the mac pros available now are still brilliant machines

4. parakiet macrumors regular

maybe another q first: why do you want to buy a mac pro?

5. hazonmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys! I'm a professional photographer and most of what I do involves (increasingly) large files and multiple programs running at the same time - Aperture, Photoshop etc. I'm also getting into a bit of HD video editing. I need a system that will run well now but also in the future as programs maybe become more complex and power hungry. Lightroom 3 I hear is expected to suck the life out of machines based on some recent beta results I saw. I'm looking for a system that will last a long time at this price! The current model is probably more than enough for me now but why not wait for a couple of months if I can get a slightly better one for not too much more money? We'll have to wait and see what happens with the price I suppose.

Do you think the current units would go on sale at all if I wait? Also, is anyone willing to hazard a guess at what a price increase might potentially be?

Cheers!

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The current Mac Pro 8-core can use 64GB RAM.
    Even the 4-core runs with 32GB RAM (8GB x 4).

7. Kallel00 macrumors member

There's some info the Core I7-980X would be priced at 999$ . Can't make the Mac Pro 2010 so expensive if they throw in that processor.

8. bkspero macrumors regular

Take a look over at the Mac Pro forum here (on Macrumers). They are some pretty critical comments on the current gen Mac Pro's. Things like processors running very hot despite very low CPU utilization (with resultant concerns about shortened CPU life).

This caused me to purchase a 2008 8 core refurb from Apple, and I've been pleased with the computer. The price was a little less than you'd would pay for a new 4 core. Computer has been rock solid, and fast.

If you've never owned an Apple refurb, they have the same warranty and support as new Macs. Eligible for Applecare for the same prices, as well. Three of our 4 Macs have been refurbs, and the one purchased new has had the most problems (a PowerMac dual G5 which needed 2 logic board replacements, a firewire board replacement, and replacement of 1 stick of memory...all under Applecare). One refurb (an iBook) needed a new optical drive under Applecare. The other 2 refurbs have been problem-free in their ca. 1 yr and 3 month lives, respectively.

Good luck in your decision

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

The current units are already sold as refurbs, I doubt if there will be any "sales" that will be less than the refurb offerings.

They better make it a big boost since the current i7 iMacs are outperforming the current low end (and are on par with the Quad 2.93) and pretty much every previous MP made.

I might find it really hard to justify the extra $1000 its costing just to get a Macpro thats as fast as an i7 iMac -- and thats before the 27" screen the iMac brings to the party...

10. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

If I were you I would wait until the new Mac Pros are released. That way you can judge whether the revision satisfies your needs and budget. If it doesn't there are tons of online sites that will still carry the 09' Mac Pro. However, the 2010 models really look tempting. ;)

11. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I'd say wait until new ones are released, and if they don't offer a significant performance boost over the current 27" iMacs, go with a top of the line iMac. The screen is absolutely glorious to look at, which would be nice when working with photos/video and it's quite powerful.

12. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

That's true. The i7-870 iMacs are faster than the low end Mac Pros already.
    The price also won't increase by a lot. Increasing it at this time is suicide.

13. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'm a professional photographer, too, who wants to buy a Mac Pro.

I'll wait for the 2010 models, due in about three months.

I also expect the pricing to be better than the overpriced 2009 Mac Pro line.

I'll wait and see what the new year brings: if the major problems of the 2009 models (heat, noise, SATA speed) have been resolved.

Maybe I'll wait a bit longer until I can buy a 2010 refurbished.

14. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    You have nothing to lose by waiting. If the new one is too expensive, get a refurb on apple.com, which would be the same as buying a new one, pretty much. The new Mac Pro is either coming out at or around January 26, or in the March/April 2010 time frame.

15. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it's around the 26th.

If not then i can't hold my craving for my first mac ever anymore, lol. Prolly get a new mac pro on the 27 for sure

16. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The transition from 2008 to 2009 models was rather large architecturally.

2009 to 2010 transition sounds like it's mostly processor, I could be wrong bc I haven't really been keeping up since the 27" i7 Quad-cores were announced.

Anyway, as far as refurbs and discounts on the Mac Pros:

In April 2009 a lot of readers here were purchasing new 2008 Mac Pro $2,799 8-core models for either $1799 or $1899 from the Apple Business store. Sorry can't find the thread. That's $1000 discount to buy the model that just got replaced. Quite a deal when you think of all the Ram, HD's and graphics updates the $1000 difference can make.

It wasn't a hard choice,
    8-core 2008 model for $1799 (or $1899)
    VS
    4-core 2009 model for $2499

Great way to get your feet wet in a Mac Pro!

17. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I prefer to build my own.
    In a Mac Pro case of course.

18. hazonmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks everyone! You've pretty much mirrored my thoughts on waiting to see what happens and then making a decision from there. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so I just wanted to see what others thought :)

I don't want to go with an iMac because of the glossy screen but that's a debate I promise I won't bring up again as I'm sure most people are sick of hearing about it ;)

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

19. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Best sale ever and why I have a mac pro instead of an iMac. Just remember that some stores were saying you had to be a prior "business" customer.

20. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Theres no debate, thousands of pro photographers are using older 24" and new 27" iMacs with glossy displays and they are just fine. Happy in fact.

Get a 27" i7 and hook it up to a 30" LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005115

Still cheaper than a MP and you get a second 30" screen to boot...

21. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

What kind of deal was that? I never heard Mac Pros going for that price, not even refurbished ones.

22. parakiet macrumors regular

just buy an eizo or lacie and hook it up.
    i've a 3,06ghz 24" imac with an eizo coloredge, it works just fine :)

although i'm waiting for the 2010 macpro.. i like to edit large format scans : - )