Mac Pro wake up problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spacedust, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro goes to sleep well in Vista 64-bit, but when I touch my keyboard to wake it up the LED goes constant white, but I got only black screen.

Any one got this issue ?

It started after I change my CPU's ;)

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Do I have to say it? Do I really have to say it?
    *cough* Windows *cough*

Joking aside, is this the same Windows installation from before the processor upgrade?

3. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes.

On Mac OS X machine wakes up fine.

When I changed the CPU's I have to manually remove every processor in Vista device manager, because I got something like this:

Xeon 5130 Processor
    Xeon 5130 Processor
    Xeon 5130 Processor
    Xeon 5130 Processor
    Xeon 5345 Processor
    Xeon 5345 Processor
    Xeon 5345 Processor
    Xeon 5345 Processor

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Windows doesn't handle new hardware very well, so you may want to try reinstalling it if nothing else works.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

When you did the windows installation, you had the 5130's in, and the system loaded files based on that (CPU ID's do change bits in the OS, even if from the same manufacturer). You then swapped out the CPU's, and it updated that information relevant to the 5345's. But it still has the other information as well, giving you the dual CPU listings. The new files added are conflicting with the old ones still in the system, causing the problems (power management).

You could try to remove it from the device manager and see if it solves the problem, or better yet, do a complete reinstall of Windows as geofreak suggested. This way truly eliminates any conflicting files. Sort of a shotgun approach, but it's easier than attempting to track down every offending file, and it usually works. :p

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I had the same until I deleted the CPUs in device manager and restarted Vista. I now comes up with the correct CPU info. I do not know about the sleeping issue because I use Vista very seldom (only Blu-Ray play back) and some other stuff.