Mac Pro was working fine. Formatted the hard drives and now the monitor can't get a p

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RyanGGSmith, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RyanGGSmith macrumors newbie

My mac computer was working fine but I took the hard drives out of it and formatted them with my new computer. Now when I re-insert the zero-filled drives the monitor is just perpetually black.

I tried using the original graphics card that came with the Mac Pro (8800 GT) but that didn't work (even though I know the card works) and even tried another graphics card I know works but that didn't work either.

I took out all drives but the first one, all ram but 2 sticks, and even tried other monitors that I know worked. Nothing.

I tried resetting the NVRAM, holding option during boot, apple hardware test, and booting from the CD. No picture on the monitor for any of those attempts.

I know the computer works because it was working fine before I formatted the drives. Also it responds to keyboard input like holding F12 during bootup opens the tray and holding command option p r I can hear the mac chime twice.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the bootloader is screwed up. Like 5 years ago when trying to set up a tri-boot I was messing with the bootloader. If this is the case is there any way to fix it? Where is the bootloader stored? Can it be reset?

Thanks for reading.

2. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

I will not be the one to answer you questions but you need to list specs on "my mac computer" and "my new computer".

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 14GB Ram | Quadro 4000 | MC6.0 | OS 10.6.8 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324