Mac Pro wattage info please

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tauchseeder, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Tauchseeder macrumors newbie

Hi,

usually I found this kind of "performance" at apple-history, but the last model with info about wattage is the Power Macintosh G5 (which power consumption is approximately 700 watts).

Can someone please tell me the actual Mac Pro's wattage?

Thanks in advance

:D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. supercooled macrumors 6502a

4. Tauchseeder thread starter macrumors newbie

Whew, was that quick!

So, let's see, compared to my upgraded 1,4 GHz G4 with 200+ Watts running dayandnight a Mac Pro with 1000+ Watts forces me to become a treehugger and save some energy. :p

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When the Mac Pro is asleep, it does not even register on UPS' or wattage meters. Just let it sleep a lot.

6. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

and remember, it's not consuming the rated wattage all the time, in fact rarely ever... I'll plug my KILL A WATT meter into my MacPro later tonight and get you some accurate measurements of power consumption.

I was curious about my :apple:TV a while back because you can't turn it off, but it wasn't so bad: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467027

7. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

You guys seem to be ill-taught in PSUs.

The Mac Pro has a 980watt PSU. This means that the power supply can provide the system with up to 980 watts. Too bad Apple put a ****** psu with crap efficiency of only about 70-75%, very low quality.

The Mac Pro will use about 200 watts on idle with 1 GPU, and around 375 watts on load with 1 GPU, and two hard drives. When you max out the system in terms of hard ware, it could use up to 350 watts on idle and 700 watts on load.

Remember that just because the PSU can give that much power, does not mean that the system always uses that much energy.

What I am hoping for is that the next Mac Pro will have a re-designed PSU with over 80% efficiency in converting AC to DC. Many PC manufacturers are jumping on the energy efficiency boat, but Apple seems to be lagging and installing low-quality, power-hungry PSUs in its desktop machines.

8. Tauchseeder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for this Real-Time Analytics.

9. andypress macrumors regular

Apple has the power consumption and heat output values listed on their websites for just about any machine made in the past eight years.

The power consumption of the Early 2008 Mac Pro (Octo 2.8) is 155 watts at idle, and 318 watts at full cpu utilization.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307495

10. dimme macrumors 65816

Here is what my system consumes
    Mac Pro Octo 2.8 Nivida 8800, 4 hd's 2 dvd burners & wacom, Modems, airport usb hub UPS
    Mac Pro 20” LCD 360 watts
    Mac Pro 20” LCD at rest 280 watts
    Sleep 45 watts

Mac Pro stand alone 269 load
    Mac Pro stand alone 200 idle

MacBook Pro 21watts
    G5 stand alone 183 load
    G5 stand alone 130 idle

11. Chromako macrumors member

12. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

Well, andypress and dimme were spot on... but I had to geek it out and make a video with an inlay video of the KILL A WATT as it measured the watts in realtime.

See for yourself: http://thatsawesome.tv/mac_pro_wattage.m4v (4:17 and ~50mb)

A VERY efficient machine if you ask me! And Apple's numbers are right in line. I am at 191 watts as I type this.

13. doctoree macrumors 6502

But your GPU was asleep when you did these tests. And GPUs are unfortunately real electricity eaters. Maybe you could run a Game like Crysis (I think crysis can support 8 cores)

14. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

Well you may or may not know this... but Aperture is very heavy on the GPU. I also did some tests with Motion, also very intensive on the GPU and it never got above 315watts.

Like the Apple doc andypress pointed out above, their numbers are right in line with what I found out.

FYI... it draws around 1.6 - 2.0 amps