Mac Pro- What to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by amanning08, Apr 28, 2010.

1. amanning08 macrumors newbie

okay so im new to macrumors and this is my first post. im sorry if this has already been asked but...
    im interested in buying a mac pro. i was wondering if i should save a little money and buy a used mac pro... maybe a year or two old... (i have found a late 2008 quad core 2.66 model with 8 gb of ram for $1000) and upgrade the ram, hard drive, video card, etc. or should i buy a new base mac pro with my developers discount? about $2000. any advice is appreciated.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

The base 2008 systems use a 2.8GHz processor (E5462), so what you've described as the used system is inaccurate. It's either a 2009 (not likely for $1000, as the base price is 2500), or a 2006/2007 model running an X5355 (look here). This is assuming it's truly a Quad core part.

You might also want to take note that a new lineup of MP's is due out in the not too distant future (supposed to be by June, though I personally expect it to be in May so it won't interfere with the new iPhones due out in June).

Ultimately however, we need to know what you're doing with it system, and be specific (particularly software and how you use it). Budget would be helpful as well.

3. amanning08 thread starter macrumors newbie

you were right about the 2.8 ghz. i didnt check my facts before i posted. sorry about that. my budget is about $2000 and i do not plan on using it for any heavy duty movie editing or recording or anything of that nature. i just have the money saved up (i have wanted a mac pro for a while now) and i want a good machine that will last me a few years.

i am interested in the mac pro because of the expandability... it seems as if it is always upgradeable. i plan on hooking it up to a samsung 32" tv that i currently have my mini hooked up to. i love my mini but i would really like the power of the pro. also, if i do get the MP, i will be willing to sell the mac mini to get a little money back to maybe spend on some of the upgrades.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Your budget is tight for a MP that would be worth having. I'd recommend looking for a used or refurbished system, such as a 2009 Nehalem Quad 2.66GHz (better, as you can extend the Apple Care, which is a good idea, given the parts cost for repairs). The new cost on one is $2500USD.

Another option would be a used 2008 2.8GHz system, but they're highly valued ATM, and it's hard to find a good deal (most seem to be overpriced or the bids go too high). :rolleyes: :( And it's hard to tell a good seller from a bad one, as most of these don't have high feedback ratings on eBay. Craig's List is another option, and a preferable one IMO, as you can arrange to inspect and test the system before buying (damage, functional,...).

I wouldn't go older than 2008 though, as the firmware is 32bit ('06 - '07 models), and is already causing issues with graphics card options (which are narrow to begin with).

The reason is, the 2008 and newer use 64bit firmware, and will be able to use current and future cards, as well as continue to use new releases of OS X once it goes to K64 exclusively (10.6 includes both 32 and 64 Kernels).

Be patient as you could stumble on a great deal. Just be ready to act quickly.
    Apple Store - Refurbished Mac section (nothing there ATM, but worth checking daily or even more frequently than that, as they tend to go quickly).

Good luck. :)