Mac Pro - which one - 6 core or 8 core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leftPCbehind209, Aug 23, 2010.

1. leftPCbehind209 macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to know which Mac Pro would be more beneficial - the 6 core (base) or 8 core (base) - I will upgrade the RAM later.

I will use the Mac Pro for Final Cut Studio 3, Photoshop and iMovie.

My workflow for video is as follows:

1) Dump data from my Sony NX5U (AVCHD format) onto an external hd (make backup dmg file).

2) Use log & transfer to change clips into ProRes.

3) Transfer ProRes clips into iMovie events folder using finder (workaround to using ProRes in iMovie).

4) Assemble clips as needed in iMovie.

5) Output XML to Final Cut.

6) Color grade in Final Cut Studio.

7) Output to BluRay using Roxio Titanium.

Right now, I'm using 2008? iMac 24" 2.6? gHz w/ 4gb RAM. I use USB 2.0 external hd's. It takes forever for changing clips into ProRes. I use one external to house the dmg file and when using log & transfer I output the ProRes to another - still takes forever.

What can I do to speed up process now? What about when I buy the MacPro? Everyone talks about RAID 0 or 1 but I don't really understand how it works.

Sorry for what are probably lame questions to a majority of you - your help is greatly appreciated.

2. eponym macrumors 6502

There's about a million threads on the same issues. Go read them. :p

I'd also suggest checking out the guides on http://macperformanceguide.com. He covers lots of things like RAID setups and general performance improvements.

And you'll get better use out of the 6 core vs. the 8, IMHO.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

For the apps you are using, the 6-core with faster core frequency will give you better performance.

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

^^^ What he said ^^^

Plus, unless there is some specific reason you need to have external USB drives, you'll get noticeably better performance overall with internal drives (assuming at least 3.0Gb/S, 7200 RMP drives which are commonplace). The Mac Pro has 4 drive bays and it's incredibly easy to add internal disks. Under five minutes with a small phillips head screwdriver.

RAID 0 will increase performance some more over just using internal drives though some would say you need an additional RAID controller to really improve performance (I have no personal experience with RAID).