Mac Pro - Which one configuration?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kimbermatic, Mar 9, 2008.

1. kimbermatic macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy the Mac Pro to replace my last Windoze machine. I want this to be my primary home machine needless to say. I will use it primarily for video, photo's and some gaming (Wow).

My question is around which processors to put in the machine. The 2.8's (8Core) look like they should be enough, but of course some of the reviews I read were configured with the 3.0's and they seemed very satisfied with the results. I am not using this for work or real heavy video. I will upgrade the memory outside of apple along with the hard drives.

So the only item I am concerned about is getting the processors right, and the money seriously jumps between the three configurations. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I don't actually own a Mac Pro, but I would figure that the 2.8ghz octo would be more than enough. In fact, from reading your post, I would bet you could make it on the single quad core 2.8ghz, if not an iMac.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In my opinion the benchmark difference between the 2.8 and 3.0 is so minimal it's not worth the extra cash. I would say that cash, if you have it and need to spend it, could be put to better use on ram and hard drive space.
    I would even tend to agree that the quad would work but in my opinion buying the quad is almost silly because if you could run on a quad then why bother with the macpro at all? Just get the 24" iMac.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Here is another fact that might settle your mind:

The 2.8 Octo is just as fast as the old 3.0 Octo.

Believe me, 8 Cores is plenty of power for the home.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As a Mac Pro owner, I must say that regardless of what people say, the quad is a speed demon nonetheless. I edit HD video, make complex 3D models, and program, and the Mac Pro handles all of it with room to spare. Mine is a 2.8 quad with 4 gb of RAM and 2 500 gb hard drives. I would upgrade to octo for speed boosts it the already zippy video exports, but I can find a second heatsink on the market. I would have to say that for what you are doing, the quad would handle it all without breaking a sweat. It is a very great machine, plenty fast for what you say you will be doing.

6. TJones macrumors regular

A Mac Pro sounds like overkill for what you want to do but hey it's your coin and there's something to be said for having the meanest computer on your block. :)

If I might make a suggestion a Macbook Pro + external monitor would be a little cheaper and have more than enough juice to do what you're looking for and give you a little mobility to boot.