Mac Pro: Which one? (Details within)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjamesv, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jjamesv macrumors newbie

I've been thinking out getting a mac for a long time. I'm a PC guy, and I love building my own systems. For that reason I think the iMac is out because I just can't customize/upgrade the way I would like to.

I expect my pc (personal comp. in the generic sense) to be a relatively high powered gaming machine, but I certainly won't use it "professionally". Which Mac Pro would be right for me?

2. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Having just started a thread like this and getting lots of great advice from other forum members. I feel confident in suggesting the Quad Core Mac Pro. Personally, i'd go with the 2.93. If you're going to be gaming the ATI 4870 would be a nice upgrade and you can get 8GB of RAM through OWC for a pretty good price. Ultimately it's up to you, but this is what I would go with. Good luck with your decision.

3. jjamesv thread starter macrumors newbie

Just saw your post. Woops. It looks like the octo has almost zero benefit for single apps, ie games. Probably does just fine multi-tasking so long as there is enough ram in the system. Have you seen any good comparisons of octo 2.26 and quad 2.93?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I would say no mac pro then. Just build a gaming pc.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

As much as I love Macs and don't care for Windows, I cannot recommend a Mac for someone looking for a gaming machine.

6. jjamesv thread starter macrumors newbie

That's valuable feedback. I'm a PC guy historically, although I bought my mom an iMac. I don't have any problem with Vista, and maybe I'm just getting seduced by the Mac mystique, which by the way, is real and honestly earned.

7. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

If you need a Mac but want a PC to game, get the quad with the GT120 and stick a GTX 260/275/280/285 in the other slot for use under Windows with bootcamp. Running an 08 with an 8800+285 right now - your situation will be easier as the GT120 does not need separate PCI power.

8. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

You can't really upgrade a Mac Pro like you can a PC. You can add more RAM and a few video cards, but don't think you'll be swapping in faster CPUs and a new motherboard easily or cheaply.

9. Olivier L. macrumors member

I am also thinking of going the Mac Pro way, versus Mac Mini + PC for gaming, The Mac Pro is a bit too much for what i would do in mac os x (altough I would then do more video stuff), the Mac Mini is simply not a sufficient power boost compared to my macbook...

advantages of Mac Pro (vs Mac Mini + PC gaming):
    - only one computer (cleaner)
    - enjoying the power in os x
    - easy and cheaper to add internal drives (pictures and video in mac os x)(cleaner)

desadvantages
    - only one computer (no rendering while I am playing :) )
    - big budget in one go (instead of spreading over the next months)