Mac Pro Windows Problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by resale, Feb 23, 2015.

1. resale macrumors newbie

Here's my problem, I've been trying to get Windows 7 or 8 running on my 2009 DP Mac Pro. I have a W7 dvd I burned that I have used in the past. It worked on my previous Mac Pro which was a single processor version but not on this one. I put in the disk, go through bootcamp, the computer restarts and hangs at the white screen. I've let it sit there for more than half an hour on more than one occasion.
    I've made multiple dvds, multiple usb drives with multiple versions of Windows 7 and 8, Professional and Enterprise (i have access to most Windows variants through work) all 64-bit. I've tried with bootcamp and without it. Every disk and USB I make just wont boot, through bootcamp or the boot selection screen.
    I installed Windows 7 on a 2009 white MacBook and swapped the drive to the Mac Pro. It worked just fine until I installed 3 hours worth of updates, then it stopped booting. But when I swap it back to the white MacBook, it boots up just fine.
    I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I've been trying every weekend for the last 3 weeks to try and figure this out. This Mac Pro just won't boot from windows at all. But every other Mac that I can use works perfectly with that specific install on windows.
    Any help or advise as to what to do will be greatly appreciated, I've been driving myself crazy over the last month trying to do this, and I thought I had it last night when W7 the 206 updates that took 3 hours to finish.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you've still got the disk that was booting before the updates could you try the fix in this thread?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432768

Doesn't sound like exactly the same problem but it might work.

3. resale thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot with the MacBook it actually boots in. If not, I'll have to keep looking.

4. resale thread starter macrumors newbie

That did it! Thank you so much for finding that for me! I've been nearly tearing my hair out for almost a month trying to fix this. I full on expect this to keep happening so knowing how to deal with it is awesome. Thanks a lot man!

5. resale thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked once at least, I installed more updates, rebooted and then no boot. Put it back into the MacBook, ran the terminal commands and now it doesn't work again. I'm seriously at a loss, it shouldn't be this hard to install an OS on anything.