Mac Pro & Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by srfval, Oct 8, 2008.

1. srfval macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I want to install Windows XP Pro64bit on my MAC Pro. I Already have the 32 bit up and running great.
    Do you think it would be best to install the 64bit version or should i stick to the 32bit?

Are MAC Pro's 64bit???

Are there any known issues with the 64bit version?

Thanx!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The professional line of Macs has been 64-bit since the introduction of the G5 in 2003.

You'd be better off with 64-bit Vista. I'm not sure if, when they added 64-bit support to Boot Camp, they added it for 64-bit XP as well.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, a few members have posted that the drivers for XP64 aren't included in Boot Camp, and have been unsuccessful in getting a functional install.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. srfval thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx alot guys! edesignuk the thread helped alot!

Thanx!

6. Supaklaw macrumors regular

I have tried all 4 flavors of Windows (32/64 bit XP/Vista) and for me personally found games run better on XP 64bit. It's first advantage over the 32bit Xp is all your RAM above 2 Gb will be recognized, and a huge speed boost. The main disadvantage is you probably will have to manually install the sound drivers off the boot camp disk, it won't auto-install. If you hunt around there's pretty much three things you need...

Realtek audio driver (on the Leopard/bootcamp disk, using Explore)
    Ethernet driver (this link should be on the forum here, one on Leopard disk may work)
    Graphics driver (off brand's website)

or try this: http://rapidshare.com/files/85474135/BootCampDrivers64.zip

and you're good to go.

Give it a try, my experience is it's less bloated than Vista 64-bit and less wonky. (Vista at first was very smooth for me until a few games crapped out on me and I deleted it) It's not supported though so depending on your needs, it might be a dead end.