Mac Pro Wireless Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gallinger, Oct 21, 2007.

1. gallinger macrumors regular

Anyone know where i can buy the Mac Pro wireless card that you have an option to include when you order it. I never got it cause i got my mac pro the day after they were announced and i did not want to wait lol. But now i want to get one and put it in myself. Anyone? thanks

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Got mine from a retail Apple Store. They are also listed on ebay from time to time.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

They are listed on ebay as of now - both Airport Extreme as well as Bluetooth 2.0

4. jonwed macrumors newbie

Yes, they're straightforward to get from either source.

I can't say the same for the install. I still haven't managed it - and I'm not new to taking the cover off my mac ;)

There's a helpful guide here - but I'm stuck at step 3. I can't for the life of me see any aerial wires, even with the HD bay removed.

So it might be worth whipping open your mac and locating the aerial wires first just to be on the safe side?

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. termina3 macrumors 65816

I got mine (after a long, pain-in-the-*** wait and hassle) from CompUSA. Make sure that you specify this is not the standard Airport card... Also, the Apple Store/AppleCare is not permitted to sell it to you without installation service. (It's not supposed to be a DIY job). The only tricky part is getting the wires to attach properly to the card. They aren't hard to find in my experience, they just didn't want to "stick". Took me about 20 minutes to get them to find their place.

7. termina3 macrumors 65816

I assume you can, however, find where the card belongs?

The aerial cords protrude from the back of the base of the 2nd HDD bay... can't give you much more help than that unfortunately. Perhaps a trip to a certified center is in order?

8. CarlosG macrumors member

Don't listen to these comments of fitting one of these cards as being difficult. It really isn't, attaching the aerial cables is fiddley, but certainly not difficult. Don't be put-off by these exaggerations.

I imported an Airport card from Fastmac:
    http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?cPath=10_11_39&products_id=207

I can honestly say that this took me all of 10-minutes at most.

I fitted mine before the above instructions were available, these are the ones that I followed:
    http://meanderingpassage.com/2007/07/18/how-to-installing-an-airport-extreme-card-in-an-intel-mac-pro/

Good luck.

9. termina3 macrumors 65816

The guide you linked says:

And why did you dig this up from a year ago?

10. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Because his fingers only just stopped hurting enough for him to type again as of yesterday.