mac pro wireless cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dudeofblokes, Feb 25, 2008.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    i just found my mac pro came without a wireless card so its hardwired into my homehub, my question is:

can a airport extreme card from ebay fit in ok?

can anyone recommend a not too expensive alterantive wireless card?

thank you

2. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Apple's Mac Pro Card

If it's one of the newest Mac Pros, and possibly any Mac Pro, you can't put the old style Airport Extreme card in. It's not the same plug and play deal anymore unfortunately.

I just went through this this weekend actually, wanting Airport in my Mac Pro. Maybe someone else can post an alternative, but if you decide to, you can go the Apple route and purchase an Airport upgrade kit. It's a small card that has to be put in by an authorized Apple service provider, but honestly, if you're brave and willing to risk possible warranty disruption, it's a breeze to put in yourself. If you do, you would need to order the kits from Apple. My local Apple store had no idea they even sold them! The part number for the kit is MB363Z/A for the early 2008 Mac Pro models, and MA688Z/B for the earlier Mac Pro models, and it cost $43. Not too bad for the 'official' Apple Airport. Although, really, it should come standard these days.

3. chakosticks macrumors member

"It's a small card that has to be put in by an authorized Apple service provider"

So in other words when I order the new Mac Pro I should make sure I add the airport card option...which rules out ordering from someplace like Amazon where one can't configure options. Why on earth would they take a step backwards and not make the card user friendly? I can easily install the original card in my ancient 366MHz clamshell iBook for cripes sake!

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Essentially there's a little card that sits on the motherboard. It's not too hard to find, it sits right behind the main fans with the bluetooth module. It shouldn't be hard to put it in, but it's not quite the easiest thing to do.

5. revisionA macrumors 6502

duplicate post material... move on, nothing to see here.

$

6. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

You can order the Mac Pro from Amazon because it's cheaper, but then you would have to buy the Airport kit from Apple and have them put it in, or you could do it yourself. It really is easy, two screws, you pop on two antenna cables, done. The Apple store nearby said it would be $30 to put it in, so I suppose you have to weigh how much you save at Amazon with the $43+install it costs to put Airport in later.

7. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

thanks for all the help, its an early 2008 8-core mac pro.

8. 41qser macrumors regular

I wouldn't call it an easy upgrade. In theory, yes, it should be easy. In practice, it can be challenging. The antennae connectors can be a huge PITA. You can often find the cards on ebay... make sure you're getting the right one though. I've had good luck.

One tip: make sure you connect the antennae prior to installing the card, otherwise you could do some damage. Be patient with it too.

9. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for the tip

will keep looking as although there are some good alternatives id rather stay apple, thanks everyone 4 the help