Mac Pro wireless nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dankatana, Jan 2, 2008.

1. dankatana macrumors newbie

OK, I'm probably being really stupid, but I ordered my Core 2 Duo without wireless (stupid), and have been trying for ages to get it set up.

I heard in order to get it capable with an official Airport Extreme card you needed to take it in to the store, but I figured that was far too much hassle, anyway turns out the USB way is worse...

So I tried a Belkin USB adapter, and it turned out that wasn't compatible, looking on this list:
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8#Wireless
    I found that the Buffalo 125 adapter should be compatable, so I bought that instead.

However, I cannot get around a certain problem. In seems that the USB should be recognised as an Airport Extreme card, but my computer must not be set up for Airport at all; ie Airport is greyed out in the setup assistants etc etc, and it doesn't pay any attention to the USB.

Do I need to install some software in order to use this USB? It's driving me mad...

Thanks in advance anyone.

PS. I'm running 10.4.8(?)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

First, there is no Core 2 Duo Mac Pro. Secondly, upgrade to 10.4.11 and see if that does anything. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've always had mine preinstalled :eek: And you don't necessarily have to take it to a Store. There are tutorials online as to the installation of a true Airport card.... and in fact, there's a guide right here in the forum!

These wires should be clearly marked as such inside your machine. Good luck!

3. waremaster macrumors 6502

I have had mine hooked up the way I originally posted since day one and I have never had range or reception problems :)