Mac Pro Wireless Options

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uMac, Jun 8, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

What is a good set-up to get the macpro linked wirelessly if you don't have an airport card installed?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Get an Airport card installed? It's probably be the easiest, and certainly the best supported, solution.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Use an Airport Express as a wireless bridge, and plug into the LAN port on that.

4. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Can it be any wireless router?

5. mwchris macrumors regular

Any router

Yes, any router that has open LAN ports. Be careful, some wireless routers do not have LAN ports. You should look for something like wireless router and 4 port switch.

I actually run mine of off a netgear wireless switch since my computer is not next to my router. It works pretty well, extends my wireless network, and gives me 3 more LAN ports. Oh, and it is also a print server. It was a steal for $40 through tiger direct, but you have to already have a wireless router.

Anyway, any wireless router with 4 port switch will work. You can pick one up significantly cheaper than an airport, although they are quite nice. Just depends if you need the extra functions the airport offers.

Chris

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Can you explain how that would be done? I am having high speed cable installed next Sunday and they will only be able to instal it upstairs and my Mac Pro is downstairs. I already have an AEBS. Thanks!

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Get an Airport Express and plug it in upstairs next to your Mac Pro. You can then run an ethernet cable to it and bridge from the AEBS. I do that with mine. My AEBS is in my bedroom, my AE is in the living room.

8. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the airport express work with any wireless router? I have a D-Link.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Just get an airport card for your MacPro...It will be a lot less of a headache.

Should have probably done that when you bought it honestly...

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Don't they sell them at the Apple store? I think this will be the best thing to do in my situation since the AEBS will be upstairs and my Mac Pro downstairs.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I got back from the Apple store a short time ago with my Mac Pro Airport Extreme card. It was a bit hard to instal in that the two wires were hard to work with in such a small space and the wires being so short. It's hard to get them to "plug" onto the card. I found it easier to plug the card into the socket first and fasten the two screws then secure the wires. Works flawlessly.

Inside the box is the card, warranty and two screws in a packet. There is also a CD for the AEBS but it is not needed if your AEBS is already configured in your network.

Attached Files:

12. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

You can buy this at the Apple Store?
    How Much?

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Of course you can.