Mac Pro Wireless solution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MRiOS, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MRiOS macrumors regular

Wireless internet connections are not usually to be found in the mac pro, I realize this, but I'm limited in what I can do in my apartment. I cannot run wires and wireless cards aren't always available on second-hand Mac Pros.

My question is, would any off the shelf wireless PCIe card work in a Mac Pro, or does it have to be a specific Apple Airport card?

2. stujmac26 macrumors regular

The new Mac Pros have an Airport card built in....if that's what you were referring to.

3. hlipnick macrumors newbie

If you are buying one of the new model MacPros, it will come with Airport (and Bluetooth) built in. If you already have a machine, you might call an apple service center and see if they can install an actual airport card, which will save you from wasting a PCI slot just for internet.
    Peace,

-Harry

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Just get a genuine Apple PCIe AirPort from eBay for $20.

5. dpavid macrumors regular

I have this machine and want wireless N. What card do I need? What are other options. TIA.

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the Mac Pro wireless antenna is on the bottom of the computer, so the reception sucks on it. I can't even get a reception to my wireless access point less than 6 feet away…

7. advres Guest

advres

Then you have something majorly wrong. Before I hardwired a line into my new office I was pulling 4 bars of signal from 20' away through 2 walls and behind a brick fireplace. Not to mention I can see the wireless signals of both apartments below me although the signal isn't great. Yes the reception isn't ideal on these but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get a perfect signal from 6 feet away. Well unless you have a wall of steel or lead between the 6 feet. :D

8. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Agreed, something strange must be up with your setup.

I am going through 4 walls (and an entire bathroom with full shower) and I live in a condo where 12 other APs have at least 20% or greater signal strength (plus other weaker APs).... and I have excellent signals, 60-70% @ 130 Mbps connection or greater on 5GHz. Be to honest, 2.4GHz does a much better job at going through the walls, but every AP within reach is on 2.4GHz band, so being the only one on the 5GHz band, I decided to use it to avoid excessive interference.