Mac Pro with 3 cpu slots.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 0x100, Apr 3, 2015.

1. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

Is it possible?

Would you buy one?

What would the price be?

2. m4v3r1ck, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

3. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

4. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

WOW...

I made a computer that cost 1.3 million dollars on that page.

It had 60 cores and 6.1TB of ram. :eek:

5. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Sounds like the Apple store prices alright ;)

I think the highest I have done on the apple store was much lower than that. If they did something similar it would be close though I think.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

And no built-in optical drive. You have to buy an external that ships separately.

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Happy that you're having fun at the HP store....

You don't need to buy the optical drive - there's an option to enable a BIOS feature to support virtual DVD drives.

At the BIOS level (or the management web page that talks to the BIOS-level management web server - yes, the firmware has a network port and a web-based management server), you type in the URL of an .ISO file.

When you do this, the OS (if running) or BIOS (if booting) sees a DVD disc inserted into a USB DVD drive. It eliminates the primitive steps of downloading the .ISO, burning a disc, and inserting it - just give the BIOS the URL.

The web server is also the KVM - the system Keyboard/Video/Mouse can be accessed through the browser. (Even on an Apple or phone.)

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I just thought it was amusing (about no optical drive).

I've got servers on my mind, because I moved my old AlphaServer DS10 out here, started it up once and it was fine, put it away for a few months and then when I wanted it again, it wouldn't boot.

I have 3 SCSI disks in it and two of them are bootable. The disk currently set at the boot disk seems to have failed.

I mention this because -- as in my optical drive comment -- I no longer have any way to get onto the boot sequence and change the boot ID to a drive that should work. I can only do that via the console port, DB9 RS232. I don't have a terminal. I don't have a PC that I can borrow a USB-RS232 stick for. I don't have a PC with a serial port.

I don't have any way to talk to my DS10 -- I'm locked out.

Sure wish I had firmware with a network port!

I'm going to have to go down to the local used computer store and see if I can scare up a terminal (but what are the odds that in little Hilo I'll find a DEC terminal) or failing that, an old laptop with a DB9 port. I have a CD with my favorite terminal emulator (Hummingbird) and if I could find something to run it on, I'd be good.

Ugh.

9. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Also with 3 cpu slots they could probably put on 3 times the ports. One front panel per pcb. Anyone in favor of 18 ThunderBolt ports?

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

18x7 = 126
    126 external Harddrives!!!!

11. 0x100 thread starter macrumors regular

0x100

Now I am waiting for someone to moan about how they can fit 126 internal drives in their old mac pro tower while the new one needs so much external and cables.

12. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey