Mac Pro with Boot Camp - Optical Audio Drivers?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by XianPalin, Jan 23, 2008.

1. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I tried to ask this in the speaker thread but I think it got passed over, and someone else was curious as well:

If I get 5.1 speakers and use the optical-out port on the Mac, are there drivers for Windows that will support the optical out and let me do 5.1 as well? I'm curious as I intend to do some gaming on the box, and this greatly influences the speakers I would buy (2.1 vs 5.1)

2. jsnipper macrumors newbie

I'd like to know the answer to this as well....

3. jsnipper macrumors newbie

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

also depends on the speakers, if it has a surround matrix and what kind of audio encoding it has. say the z5500's, they have Dolby digital surround encoding and works fine on my optical out on my macpro in XP and OSX 10.4.10

:)

:apple:

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Games won't work in 5.1 no matter what, when run through a optical out. :(

6. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Damn, that sucks :mad:

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You can buy third party options that can get you surround sound for what few games support it though. Or so i have heard.

8. Kuraudo macrumors member

In your case I would get a receiver and an optical cable, then set the receiver to PROLOGIC II. This config iwill send sound to the center , music to the left and right and other enemies behind you to the rears. You can hook up your speakers to the receiver if you want to with some adapters, but I'd choose better speakers than crappy Pc ones.

It does a good job despite not being from creative. Not as good as DTS, and not as good as Creative Eax, but hey its decent.

Then you can have 5.1 sound.

9. XianPalin thread starter macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Well right now I use the Griffin FireWave for 5.1 output in OS X. I guess I will continue to use that when I get my Mac Pro to get 5.1 in OS X, and then for Windows I will get some USB Headphones that do "5.1" surround, since it will mostly be for games anyways, and the included microphone can be used for gaming too.

If anyone cares, these are what I plan on going with I think:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826504004

10. jsnipper macrumors newbie

I guess another headset is fine, I was just hoping to be able to use the internal Mac Pro sound card in Windows for 5.1 through the optical output but a USB headset works too I guess. Not great if you have friends over watching you game...

11. XianPalin thread starter macrumors 6502

XianPalin

12. marker227 macrumors 6502

So no one has gotten bootcamp on a Mac Pro to run 5.1 sound? I wanna use it for games too, but I want 5 speakers on 5.1, not what Bose has.