Mac pro with final cut

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

How do I make Final Cut pro use all of my Mac pros processing power. When I render something it only uses 8% of my total CPU power. I want final cut to Use 90-100% of my power so Instead of waiting 2 minutes to render a clip, I wait 10 seconds. Is this possible? I payed for Eight 2.8ghz cores and I want them put to work!

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

You have to give it something to work for!

I think the current version of Final Cut Studios doesn't have multi-core support yet. Might explain why is rendering at 8%

3. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Final cut is terrible for cpu optimization.

Motion, or Compressor are far more likely to tax the cores, or Episode Pro.

4. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Motion gives me about 40% cpu usage when I work with Broadcast HD. The problem I have with motion is, firewire 800 with raid is barely fast enough for complex projects.

The funny thing is on my old dell, I had a celeron processor (125kb of l2 cache
    ) and even moving firefox around slammed the CPU. :)

5. v0n macrumors member

Compressor is useless - single thread mpeg2 encoding, on 8 core it shown 17 hours for 48 minute dual pass encode. It takes absolute ages to load footage with interface locking, window freezing and tantrums all over the place as well. Started pushing mpegs through Visual Hub - takes every format under the sun, encodes in a jiffy and without drama.

6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

this isn't intended as a bump/plug, but because it touches on a related issue...

i just started a thread about maximizing compressor processor usage with qmaster in the digital video forum. nothing 'cept a recommendation to get more RAM so far, but maybe something else will pop up.