Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
recently went from a ATI 5770 to a AMD 7950 flashed card from macvidcards a couple weeks ago.

Had a few freezes and weird square pixelated-ness (see youtube video / flickr link) to begin with - have been largely ok for a week or so until now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114385526@N07/23716902563/

1. What is causing the squares? Also, have seen giant light green squares and Chinese looking fonts in facebook!

2. Past two days has been a total nightmare - several freezes and now the mac crashes when i boot FCPX - squares - beachball and sometimes it just turns off and restarts.

Perhaps ive overloaded my mac with Power as it needs more for FCPX? I have

2.5" SSD drive in optical bay
1x DVD Superdrive

4x 3.5" drives

1x sonnet USB3.0 PCIE PRO Card

1x AMD 7950 Graphics cards.

Before the AMD 7950 install? Yup had a few freezes and brief (half second) glitches - The freezes happened whilst uploading to YouTube via Safari.

Did a clean install a week before installing the AMD 7950 and today did a re-install of El Crapitan.

Have had amazing render times with the 7950 so really want this relationship to work, but, may need to downgrade to my older, slower ati 5770 - I have a Clone of Mountain Lion which might indicate whether its a OSX or graphics card or power issue or something more inherent (logic board)

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Could be also the cables. (the power cables that connect to your card from motherboard)
Have you tried to change the cables and/or the slot to 2nd or other?

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
email mvc in two days when he's back. it could be bad memory in your system or bad memory in videocard.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Could be also the cables. (the power cables that connect to your card from motherboard)
Have you tried to change the cables and/or the slot to 2nd or other?

i thought you could only install on bays 1 & 2 as they had the retainer plate

All 4 RAM modules come up as OK in About This Mac

FCPX crashes on boot (KERNAL PANIC) - doesn't crash if I fully uninstall and reinstall fcpx (but I loose all my projects)

Ill start a fresh wuth fcpx - if it happens agin think the graphics card is to blame

Ill order two 6 pin cables and blow on it too lol that always seems to work

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Assuming you have a 5,1 because you upgrade from the 5770.

For double width card, you can install them on slot 1,2 or 3 without infringe the HDDs. In fact, I install 2x 7950 in my Mac Pro, one in slot 1 and one in slot 3.

All 4 RAM shows OK in about this Mac not necessary mean that they are working with zero fault (especially if you replace them by non ECC RAM).

You can install iStat and have a quick check if both 6pin cable's are loaded with normal current. If one cable doesn't work properly, the card may still boot but gives you plenty of error.

I have more or less the same hardware as you do. So, unless your PSU is in very poor condition, it should be powerful enough to drive all those hardware.

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
I'm running a 7950 from ebay that I flashed myself with no problems, and my 1,1 is pretty loaded up with 4 HD's, superdrive, blu-ray burner, USB 3.0 card etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.