Mac Pro with Noisy Fans

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by faroZ06, Oct 4, 2012.

1. faroZ06, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I have a 2008 Mac Pro that has quite a noisy CPU fan, the large one on the front. It's sometimes really bad and sometimes just an annoying, droning sound. My CPU fan is running at 499RPM usually, which seems pretty slow for the amount of noise it's making. The droning fan sound is like Chinese water torture to my ears, so I'd like to get rid of it. It's a bit louder than an iMac G5 but more rickety-sounding. My temperatures are normal.

I think it's a mechanical problem with the fan itself. I've tried blowing air from one of those pressurized air cans into there, opening the computer and cleaning it without removing any parts, and running the fans at max speed to try and dispel dust. None of this had any effect.

Is this happening to anyone else here? And have you managed to fix it on your Mac Pro? I'm thinking about oiling the fan or replacing it, but I don't know if that's necessary. Maybe taking it out and cleaning it thoroughly would help, but I don't know how to do that, and none of the tutorials I can find work.

EDIT: In case anyone else was going to recommend this, SMCFanControl would not solve this. The fan speeds and temperatures are normal.

2. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Install a software called SMCFanControl and manually adjust the fan RPM. My guess is you recently upgraded the CPU or something else and forgot to put the temperature sensor back and or the sensors are faulty, i doubt the fan is the root cause.

3. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

It's already at minimum RPM, I think. Isn't 499RPM low? I didn't modify anything in this Mac Pro except that I switched the hard drives and added another DVD+RW drive. The CPU temperatures are low.

4. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Sry didn't read it correctly, though it was running at 4999RPM and you wanna lower it down. In this case i believed something is stuck in the fan or the fan blades are damaged. You can find replacement parts on eBay and swap them out.