Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Who gives a damn if the new Mac Pro can throughput 1250MB/sec?

Theoretically my Mac Pro with a SATA III card + a SATA III SSD can do >500MB/sec.

What is the peak throughput i've recorded? 400MB/sec. Daily peak? 100MB/sec.

And if your doing anything that requires 1000MB/sec transfers your unlikely to be doing that on a 256/512GB SSD because you'd fill it up in 5 minutes.

The point is the Mac Pro should be internally expandable. It now isn't and users such as myself are miffed because all we want to do is transfer the multiple SSDs and HDDs we already have into a Ivybridge-E box.

The new Mac Pro FORCES us into three situations:

1. Buy a TB enclosure for ££££.
2. Buy a NAS enclosure - piss poor performance relative to internal*
3. Buy a PC and then hackintosh it or switch to windows.

*Go and do some benchmarks on an internal disk and then via AFP/SMB to a NAS. You'll find as the block size goes down the native performance is lost and your limited to ~115MB/sec anyway unless you spend even more on a link aggregated switch.

Unfortunately for me, it is option 3 unless the new Mac Pro comes in at a sensible price point.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Yes, but not normalized on MB/s.

Which is a roundabout way of admitting that both "Speed" and "Size" are definitions of capabilities.

And for the new Mac Pro the upgrade is from spinning SATA II disks to PCIe solid state.

Except that the 2012 MP was optionally available with 4x SSDs, which in RAID0 would be ... how fast? Since 4x300 = 1200, so probably pretty close to the new MP's claims?

Of course, each of the current MP's SSD costs +$600 more, but because we've also been previously told "...you or I don't know if we are going to pay extra for it.", we can decide on our own just what to believe.

Yes, really. Go back and see how I entered the discussion, you just want to turn this into your favorite topic.

Your first post merely acknowledged a technology change away from SATA, and pointed out that that interface has a higher bandwidth potential. My response was that that wasn't the entire story.

Going from SATA II to a 1250 MB/s SSD results in way more than 20% increase in performance.

A selective half-truth which seeks to decieve through its omissions, because it isn't a one-for-one swap, but a several-to-one. In addition, the internal PCIe slots have also disappeared.

It's only true if you want Apple to stand still and not progress and adapt new emerging standards.

Factually incorrect, plus I am offended at your innuendo which has the appearance of being both purposeful and malicious: first TOS warning.

That's not what you said in post #13.

Factually incorrect, as Post #13 explicitly cited "capability" three times.

I specifically said that you could argue that the requirements are set too high (basically the new Mac Pro is too good), which is what you are saying now as well.

Also incorrect. I related how capability requirements can be (and often are) fundementally flawed because of how they're written; eg, by dictating the engineering solution.

Yep, if you are talking about regular drives in a RAID. That does not mean that it's an intelligent choice for a new PCIe based SSD, since the interface is much faster than SATA to begin with, RAID and multiple drives isn't necessary.

Except that it also doesn't mean that it isn't: they're all just tools in the toolbox which are assessed based on what particular capabilities are required. Otherwise, you're being sloppy and/or Gold-Plating.

Yes, I have noticed this, and hence my remark. Look how I entered the discussion, this was just a comment to fill in the blanks so to speak. I know you like to turn this into your favorite topic: "the new Mac Pro is inferior". I know where you stand, and I'm not interested in discussing it.

Because your message has repeatedly been: "This new technology is better!"

The bottom line is that the new Mac Pro is different, and if the nMP is better/worse depends on what capabilities ones' particular use case requires: it is going to be worse for some, and better for others... How many fall into each camp isn't going to be known until the product is fully spec'ed out with performance and prices.

{...}
The point is the Mac Pro should be internally expandable.

This provides a good example to what I've been trying to patiently explain above: your capability requirement isn't "internally expandable": that's dictating an engineering solution.

What your capabiltiy requirement really consists of has several factors:

a) Capability to later grow the system's capabilities;
b) For (a) to include tiers (variation) in its capability (low-med-high);
c) For capability growth to include cost considerations.

Which engineering solution (eg, internal vs TB) is ultimately determined to be "best value" will depend on the individual use case, and how they rank the various contributing factors in its decision-making process.

-hh

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Which is a roundabout way of admitting that both "Speed" and "Size" are definitions of capabilities.

Well it's obvious isn't it, but it needed to be pointed out since you decided to define price as a function of storage size.

Except that the 2012 MP was optionally available with 4x SSDs, which in RAID0 would be ... how fast? Since 4x300 = 1200, so probably pretty close to the new MP's claims?

Of course, each of the current MP's SSD costs +$600 more, but because we've also been previously told "...you or I don't know if we are going to pay extra for it.", we can decide on our own just what to believe.

Well you are then wasting 4 drive slots to create 1 volume. In a case like that the loss of those slots in the new Mac Pro is a non issue, since you would have lost all of them to your single volume anyway.

Your first post merely acknowledged a technology change away from SATA, and pointed out that that interface has a higher bandwidth potential. My response was that that wasn't the entire story.

Yes I know… It's related to what was said however, your remarks are more general points on why you don't like the new Mac Pro. I understand that there are things that could be problematic with the new model, but the PCIe SSD isn't one of them. That goes firmly on the plus side.

A selective half-truth which seeks to decieve through its omissions, because it isn't a one-for-one swap, but a several-to-one. In addition, the internal PCIe slots have also disappeared.

It's not, it's factually correct. The fact that internal SATA and PCIe slots are gone is not a function of the PCIe SSD, they could have included the SSD and still have SATA and internal card expansion intact. It's a different issue, and I know your feelings about it.

Factually incorrect, plus I am offended at your innuendo which has the appearance of being both purposeful and malicious: first TOS warning.

If it's factually incorrect point it out. If you are offended by that you should probably not engage in online forum discussions, I honestly see no offensive content in that comment.

Factually incorrect, as Post #13 explicitly cited "capability" three times.

This is what you said.

"To dictate a specific engineering solution to meet a capability requirement is an artificial constraint and a flaw in requirements generation."

I hope you understand that the amount of times you mention a word is meaningless.

Your claim is that a solution that meets a requirement is a flaw in the requirement. It makes no sense! Because when the specification is made, you are supposed to create a solution to meet the requirement!

Also incorrect. I related how capability requirements can be (and often are) fundementally flawed because of how they're written; eg, by dictating the engineering solution.

Ok so what? It has nothing to do with the new Mac Pro as you have zero insight into the design process of the machine. It's just you speculating without any facts to lean on, at all.

Except that it also doesn't mean that it isn't: they're all just tools in the toolbox which are assessed based on what particular capabilities are required. Otherwise, you're being sloppy and/or Gold-Plating.

It does! In your case it may be a better fit for retro fitting a PCIe SSD in a current Mac Pro and retain booting capabilities, as well as keeping the price down. For a new design it would be an ugly hack IMHO.

Because your message has repeatedly been: "This new technology is better!"

The bottom line is that the new Mac Pro is different, and if the nMP is better/worse depends on what capabilities ones' particular use case requires: it is going to be worse for some, and better for others... How many fall into each camp isn't going to be known until the product is fully spec'ed out with performance and prices.

Yes, and I'm specifically referring to the SSD, it's clearly better! You may not like everything about the new Mac Pro, but that is besides the point.

This provides a good example to what I've been trying to patiently explain above: your capability requirement isn't "internally expandable": that's dictating an engineering solution.

It's a different point, that is already discussed to death in other threads, it has nothing to do with PCIe SSD or not. I'm aware of your opinion.

Last edited:

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
Well, I received my order today and installed the four OWC Electra 240Gb 3G SSD's in their 2.5' to 3.5' adapter trays.

I set up Bays 1 and 2 as RAID-0 and Bays 3 and 4 as RAID-0. OS and APPS on first RAID and Documents, VM's on second RAID.

Ran BlackMagic test and was satisfied with the results. Although it won't set any records, it performs better than what I was expecting.

Bad thing was that I could not restore from a Time Machine backup so I had to do a full install of all my apps again, ugh.

I'll have to run the manual steps to re-add the recovery partition.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    741.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DiskSpeedTest2.png
    DiskSpeedTest2.png
    741.4 KB · Views: 72

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
...Well you are then wasting 4 drive slots to create 1 volume.

It still affords the capability.

Plus your "waste" claim illustrates that you've jumped ahead to cost:benefit without even knowing everyone's use cases.

In a case like that the loss of those slots in the new Mac Pro is a non issue, since you would have lost all of them to your single volume anyway.

Not necessarily so, because the current Mac Pro also has PCIe slots which can be provisioned.

Plus, as per Apple's OEM offerings, the storage capacity would be 2TB (or 4TB with 3rd Party offerings) and Apple's Parts Bin from which they're drawing their PCIe SSD only has a ~1TB max size. As such, we have no proof yet that there is parity in storage capacity.

Yes I know… It's related to what was said however, your remarks are more general points on why you don't like the new Mac Pro. I understand that there are things that could be problematic with the new model, but the PCIe SSD isn't one of them. That goes firmly on the plus side.

Taken utterly alone and out of context, sure, having the capability of a PCIe SSD interface is a generic "good thing". Unfortunately, there's context.

It's not, it's factually correct. The fact that internal SATA and PCIe slots are gone is not a function of the PCIe SSD,...

And there's your context.

... they could have included the SSD and still have SATA and internal card expansion intact.

But the facts are that they did not do so.

And that's why your statement was a selective half-truth: you purposefully narrowed it to remove relevant context.

Regarding subsonix's skirting of TOS policies

If it's factually incorrect point it out. If you are offended by that you should probably not engage in online forum discussions, I honestly see no offensive content in that comment.

Trying to invoke the "fact card" is a common strategy to try to hide behind the nuances of the TOS. Unfortunately, you cannot substantiate your claim. As such, you made a duplicitous statement by trying to attribute a position to another poster (me) which is untrue.

Because you could have done this because you were reacting emotionally, I was granted you a public warning. However, if you persist, then you're providing proof that your intention was malicious...and you've made the job for the Moderators a lot easier by removing ambiguity.

This is what you said.

"To dictate a specific engineering solution to meet a capability requirement is an artificial constraint and a flaw in requirements generation."

I hope you understand that the amount of times you mention a word is meaningless.

Only if one insists on ignoring context every time! :rolleyes:

Your claim is that a solution that meets a requirement is a flaw in the requirement.

Incorrect. You've gotten the statement backwards (again?)

Once again, it is:
A requirement that dictates the solution is a flawed requirement.

Note that even if the requirement happens to dictate a solution which works, it is still a flawed requirement.

It makes no sense! Because when the specification is made, you are supposed to create a solution to meet the requirement!

I think we have different perspectives on what a "requirement" is. I'm not talking about a technical specification as a requirement, but rather a high level capability ... which frequently isn't expressed in techy terms. For example, this might be: "10% better productivity" -- and that's what then broken down to engineering specs.

To apply my above statement, a requirement of "10% better productivity by making the PC run 10% faster" is a flawed requirement because its solution dictation excludes other options from being considered ... for example, any software rewrite, OS improvements, or even workflow changes are all prohibited.

Ok so what? It has nothing to do with the new Mac Pro as you have zero insight into the design process of the machine. It's just you speculating without any facts to lean on, at all.

So it is not an indisputable fact that the new Mac Pro prototype as shown doesn't have four 3.5" bays, nor any conventional PCIe slots?

It does! In your case it may be a better fit for retro fitting a PCIe SSD in a current Mac Pro and retain booting capabilities, as well as keeping the price down.

For a new design it would be an ugly hack IMHO.

For the new MP design, the hack wouldn't be required for an SSD-based boot drive...where the new MP potentially gets 'ugly' is for those use cases where the options for increasing local storage come into play.

Yes, and I'm specifically referring to the SSD, it's clearly better! You may not like everything about the new Mac Pro, but that is besides the point.

Heaven forbid that we ever consider the product as a holistic whole.

It's a different point, that is already discussed to death in other threads, it has nothing to do with PCIe SSD or not. I'm aware of your opinion.

Actually, the "internal expansion" statements is a very good illustration for how people don't really understand their fundamental capability needs and skip ahead to specifics. This has been brought to the forefront with the nMP because it externalizes everything, which in many use cases represents a cost growth and jeopardizes the value proposition of the nMP relative to the old. To this end, ,y personal assessment, which is from a simplistic 'all other factors equal' perspective on most of the unknown tech specs, the 2013 MP has to have its retail price be roughly $600 lower than the equivalent 2012 MP in order to maintain value parity.

-hh

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Well this thread ran away a bit... uh.. I'll leave you all to it :p

Sorry about that.

To revisit the generalization I made (much) earlier, I can go run some benchmarks on what I desribed as 'Option B' to provide specifics, but from memory, I'd say that the numbers will ballpark to around:

PCIe based SSD ... ~400MB/s+
2xHDD RAID0 ... ~250MB/s+

If more is desired, one can double up and RAID0 the SSD, which will raise it to 800. Similarly, adding a third/fourth/etc HDD to the data RAID0 will push it up too.

Here's a Digital Lloyd page with some charts and which affirms my above recollections for the HDDs: BLUF is that if you need 400, use three, and using four on the built-in SATA ports if you need 550. Since this is RAID0, the total capacity of the array will be the sum of the HDDs, so 3 x 3TB HDDs means 9TB of data storage, etc.

-hh

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Who gives a damn if the new Mac Pro can throughput 1250MB/sec?

Theoretically my Mac Pro with a SATA III card + a SATA III SSD can do >500MB/sec.

What is the peak throughput i've recorded? 400MB/sec. Daily peak? 100MB/sec.

And if your doing anything that requires 1000MB/sec transfers your unlikely to be doing that on a 256/512GB SSD because you'd fill it up in 5 minutes.

The point is the Mac Pro should be internally expandable. It now isn't and users such as myself are miffed because all we want to do is transfer the multiple SSDs and HDDs we already have into a Ivybridge-E box.

The new Mac Pro FORCES us into three situations:

1. Buy a TB enclosure for ££££.
2. Buy a NAS enclosure - piss poor performance relative to internal*
3. Buy a PC and then hackintosh it or switch to windows.

*Go and do some benchmarks on an internal disk and then via AFP/SMB to a NAS. You'll find as the block size goes down the native performance is lost and your limited to ~115MB/sec anyway unless you spend even more on a link aggregated switch.

Unfortunately for me, it is option 3 unless the new Mac Pro comes in at a sensible price point.

I agree with everything said above. My solution - Sell my 3,1 Mac Pro. I bought a 5,1 Mac Pro, an Apricorn SoloX2 and a Sumsung SSD. I'm able to keep all my old HDDs and I will have SATAIII.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.