Mac Pro with X1900 XT - Failing card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Willis, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Hello. I've noticed recently that when booting up to my Windows partition (on a separate drive bay) pixels start flashing in random places.

Also, I cant seem to run Sims 3 any longer than 15 minutes before it either gives scrambled graphics or just crashes the computer (in OS X).

I'm currently installing in Windows to see if the problem persists, but any thoughts are welcome.

EDIT: Dodgy graphics present... =(

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah its probably failing. I had the same issue. Apple replaced mine out of warranty. I contacted Steve@apple.com and then was contacted by a Canadian executive PR guy. We were in touch for a couple days I talked with a couple engineers etc. They then decided to replace it and send the card for inspection in California. No cost to me. They apparently know of the problem, but don't know much details on it, which is why they wanted to look at the card.

So I would shoot the steve@apple.com address a note. Include your serial number, phone number and country. Hopefully they will contact you within the next couple days (it took 2 days for me) Make sure you email is polite. But also mention that many other people have had the problem. Just google quick and throw some links in their. (particularly the wow forums one) If they don't get ahold of you within the next couple days PM me and I can either put you in touch with the Canadian rep or I can try get you contact info for the european rep. As the canadian rep said if I had any further questions about anything give him a shout. I have talked with him once since then related to iPhone comments. They are very helpful.

Hope that helps!

3. grue macrumors 65816

Why would you go right to emailing the higher-up team? That's like calling the Pentagon when your mailbox gets hit by a drunk driver.

Start low, then escalate if necessary.

4. Willis thread starter macrumors 68020

Willis

Thanks Trainguy for highlighting the issue.

I still have warranty till October with Applecare so I shall give them a call tomorrow.

I thought I'd ask around before I started bothering Applecare... in the last month I've had two calls already!

5. grue macrumors 65816

Well if you paid for the AppleCare, you might as well use it

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I was not aware he had applecare. Otherwise the applecare staff don't care because its out of warranty.
    Sounds good I am glad you have applecare because its not easy getting it replaced otherwise. It can be done though since its such a common problem.

7. pprior macrumors 65816

Would people quit with the "email steve jobs" every time you have a simple hardware problem. That is just inane.

First of all, have you cleared the cooling fins? That card had a common problem with the fan clogging the cooling fins with lint to the point that it wouldn't move enough air.

Take the cover off and look - if it's all clogged up then just compressed air and a few minutes will keep from having to deal with Stevie boy :rolleyes:

If not, take it to the store, it's under warranty and that's what a warranty is for.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Have you owned a x1900 before?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=94000596

Its a pretty well known problem. And yes emailing steve was mine, and many peoples only option, once out of warranty that is. But thats not the case here.

9. pprior macrumors 65816

Yes I have owned one.

Yes I'm aware of the problems.

Yes I've had one of the earlier version cards replaced.

No, I don't email steve jobs if my hardware is out of warranty, I just buy a new card if need be.

My card had problems within the first 6 months, and that was despite clean fins. I've seen others however completely clogged and again you don't go taking your car into the mechanic without checking simple things like "fuel in the tank?"

I would like to hear from the OP whether he checked the card to see if it's clogged or not.

10. Willis thread starter macrumors 68020

Willis

I had suggestions to clear out 'fluff' and so on before and if I remember correctly, it didn't make much difference. (I was playing WoW at he time and wasnt sure if it was the update I had recently applied) Since then, not noticed it.

But, I shall check again but I will most likely give AC a ring anyway.

11. pprior macrumors 65816

If it's not clogged, when you call applecare you should expect that they will RMA you a new one. The earlier version of that card had overheating problems that are well known. They replaced mine over the phone.

12. Willis thread starter macrumors 68020

Willis

Well, I've just had the panel off and fins are clean, no large pieces of dust or fluff.

*sigh* Phoning Applecare now

To add to that, this has also just appeared..

Attached Files:

13. Willis thread starter macrumors 68020

Willis

Going to Apple tomorrow morning. Sounds like I'm getting a new card fitted

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have a ton of screenshots saved with that same artifact of back when mine happened.