Mac Pro won't boot, kernel panic at boot, graphics card failure.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iBug2, Oct 2, 2009.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Yesterday my screen (30" Apple Cinema) started showing symptoms of graphics card failure, jagged lines across the screen. I rebooted my Mac Pro and it was gone. Then it happened again an hour later, this time the machine didn't boot, I get the Apple logo, and then it hangs up and the screen is shifted to left (I get apple logo on left side of the monitor instead of the middle) and jagged lines all over.

So the first thing I tested was using Target Disk Mode, it works. I can access my Mac Pro's internal HD's by TDM from my MacBook Pro. Then I tested single user mode, it does boot, I can't read what's written since the screen is shifted to left, but if I type (without seeing) reboot and hit enter, it reboots. So I assume the single user mode is working.

What else can I try to 100% make sure it's my graphics card that failed and everything else is ok with Mac Pro? I already ordered a graphics card replacement but I wouldn't like to be surprised if the Mac Pro still doesn't boot when the card arrives.

P.S. It won't boot from Apple Startup DVD either. Same thing happens, gray logo then kernel panic with jagged lines all across the shifted screen.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

when something is wrong and you need help troubleshooting, writing your specs is something that makes it alot easier

but yes, 98% your graphic card is fail

if its a x1900 or 8800gt I suggest you try to blow out the dust

3. fandsw macrumors regular

ditto.....

4. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

I tried blowing out the dust, actually I've been cleaning the dust regularly since I purchased the Mac Pro. So there's not much dust in it. 8800GT is the card.

The Mac Pro is Octo 2.8 Early 2008.

5. fandsw macrumors regular

If it's not dust blocking the cooling and heating up the card you may very well have another type of video card failure. The symptoms you describe are classic bad video card symptoms.

6. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

I managed to boot the machine from my Bootcamp Vista partition. As vista doesn't care if the video card performs at its best to boot, it does boot with all the jagged lines and triangles all over the place, but it can be used. It reports the video card as damaged though. But at least now I'm sure that no other parts of the machine is damaged. I ordered my replacement card so it should be fixed soon.

Although it was quite unexpected to see 8800gt fail so fast out of nowhere. I never had a single problem with that card except the loud fan noise.

But I suppose playing world of warcraft on a 30" cinema display for 1.5 years almost nonstop can put quite a pressure on the video card. So maybe wow is responsible. :)

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I'd put money on it being your video card, especially being an 8800GT, those are classic symptoms. I take it you're not under warranty still.

I had exactly the same symptoms and had a replacement under Apple care which glitched from time to time during heavy 3d graphics work. Because of this I've switched to a flashed ATI 4870 and had no problems so far.....Better card too.

8. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

I never had issues with 8800gt under heavy load before, and yes I'm not under warranty anymore.