Mac Pro wont boot.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by clipsedsm95, May 27, 2012.

1. clipsedsm95 macrumors member

My Mac Pro froze so I had to shut it down through the power button when I went to boot it back up it took a very long time before the logo came on then it just stood there gear turning so I turned it off again tried booting with option and T and neither will work Im not sure whats going on help!

2. strausd macrumors 68030

Have you tried booting to a disk or a flash drive with OS X on it?

3. clipsedsm95 thread starter macrumors member

I Just did had to re format my drive (sigh of relief) I thought I burnt something out on m MP I just got it !

4. Esdaile macrumors newbie

Same problem

I had exactly the same problem a few months back. I sweated buckets over looking at all the various reasons for that annoying little gear spinning, and the machine not starting. To cut a very long story short it was a dead graphics card that caused my problem. When the old card was taken out and opened up it was clogged with dust making it run very hot and it was this that possibly led to its demise. I cleaned the card and reinstalled it, it started up but it only lasted a few weeks before I had to buy a replacement which was an ATI-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-graphics-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro.

In retrospect what I had noticed was the fans in my mac running more that they previously did, do you have the same problem? You may also want to take the opportunity of giving the inside of the case a good spring clean.