Mac Pro won't eject discs or drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MatchFrame, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

Out of the blue, my 2008 Mac Pro has stopped ejecting discs and external drives.

Dragging the disc/external drive icon to the trash changes the trash icon to the "eject" symbol, but when released, nothing happens. Ctrl+clicking the disc/external drive icon does not even have the option to eject.

I used a few AppleScripts I found so that I can open, close, and eject the DVD tray.

These all work fine. But I still can't eject any external drives from the system. If there's a workaround for this, too, I'd love to hear about it.

More importantly, though, is to get to the root of the problem. Anybody dealt with this before or have any ideas on how to solve it?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible that your drives are in use by a system process at the time you try to eject. Check to see if Time Machine is updating, or if there's a flashing dot in the middle of the Spotlight magnifying glass. You could also try relaunching Finder prior to ejecting by control-option-clicking on the Finder icon in your Dock and selecting Relaunch.