Mac Pro Won't Even boot to Install DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Truz21, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Truz21 macrumors member

So the other day my Mac Pro froze while just browsing the internet. I had to do a hard restart and the computer will not boot at all now. It hangs up at the Gray Loading screen. It looks like it is loading, and then the spinning circle just freezes and the system never moves from that spot.

I've even tried booting to an install disc to run disk utility and such, but it won't even boot to that. It does the same thing and hangs on the gray screen. I feel pretty powerless here not being able to even boot to a DVD/CD. The only other thing that I've noticed is ocassionaly the lower 1/5 of the screen will blip with a horizontal orange bar.

I have no idea what is going on, I'm fearful it may be a significant hardware failure and not a bad Hard Drive as I originally suspected. Does anyone have any ideas? Not being able to boot to a dvd is very disheartening.

This is a 2007 Mac Pro
    8 core 3.0ghz with an Nvidia 8800GT
    4 gigs ram.

2. Truz21 thread starter macrumors member

Quick update. I was just able to connect my Mac Pro to my old powerbook via Firewire Disk Mode. I can view all of my Hard Drives and browse the content. The hard drives actually look alright. Seems I was right in thinking it wasn't an HD problem.

Still at a loss here though, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Its your 8800GT. Got to replace graphics card.
    To confirm it, do like this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9381793&postcount=18 - take out 8800GT and boot your mac. If it will boot - you got the answer.

5. Truz21 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't even see your response and was thinking the same thing last night, and sure enough today I found out that the 8800GT is the problem.

I brought my Mac Pro in to work and swapped out the x1900 from my work machine into my home machine, and sure enough the Mac Pro booted perfectly. Looks like the 8800GT is toast.

Hopefully I can find my old X1900 at home and throw that in there. If I can't find the old card, does anyone know a good place to buy a Video card compatible with a 2007 Mac Pro.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Apple's 4870 is compatible with EFI32, last time I checked. Flash one or nab it direct ;)

7. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Correct. I use HIS HD4870 512 in Mac Pro 2006 and it works without any problems ;)