Mac Pro won't go to sleep automatically

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bartsphoto, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bartsphoto macrumors member

I have a Mac Pro Early 2008 with version. 10.6
    and my mac won't go to sleep automatically I have it set to 15min then sleep mode but it stop doing that. Today I went to the apple store with my mac and the guy was working on the computer with me for 2 hours we still dont know whats going on. (this is the description i got from the genius bar guys. Since customer upgraded to 10.6 the computer will no longer go to sleep on its own Customer erased computer and reistalled issues persist. Steps to reproduce: booted from know good extrnal drive ( they have there own 10.6 on it) turned off bluetooth card and "allow power button to put compter to sleep" on our operating system machine went to sleep. Attempted again computer wouldn't go to sleep again.)
    I have my bluetooth off i dont have any items at login to open anyone had this happen be for I really want to get this fixed. I have all the app up to dated.
    Can some one help me:confused::confused:
    Thanks

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Did this problem actually start happening after you upgraded to 10.6?

Have you upgraded any internal hardware (expansion cards, etc.) that could be causing the issue? If so, try removing that hardware and see if the issue persists.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm no help in suggesting a solution, but since upgrading to 10.6.2, when I attempt to manually put it to sleep, it takes anywhere from 45-90 seconds for it to actually go to sleep. I have a macbook with 10.6.2 and it does not suffer this problem.

4. Sandman824 macrumors newbie

mac pro won't sleep automatically

I have the same problem since upgrading to snow leopard. 2006 mac pro with 8gb ram, 3 hd, ati 3870 card. It will sleep for hours /days when manually put to sleep but won't go by itself. I have also tried everything. It keeps the room toasty warm in the winter(northern wisconsin) but doesn't work so well for me in the summer.
    It always worked before the sl upgrade and it goes to sleep in windows wi boot camp.
    Any new suggestions would be welcome

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Same issue here with a 2006 Mac Pro, I've never managed to get it to sleep automatically with 10.6, and it only worked with early versions of 10.5.

Even with a clean install with nothing connected and only the original hardware it doesn't work, with 10.4 it used to work pretty reliably. Oh and yes I have reset the PRAM and everything else. :(

At-least manually putting it to sleep works fine.

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I also have this problem, I have no idea if I had this problem in 10.5 because I just always did a shut down.

I'm still looking for a solution too, I've so far reset pram, smc, put back my stock apple ram, moved my video card to different slots and still a no go. I have no idea what's wrong, nothing is reported in console.