Mac Pro won't sleep naturally

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jwt, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

This problem started after installing a second HD, starting Time Machine back-ups, an additional 2 GB of memory, and an EyeTV Hybrid. That's a lot of variables, so I'm wondering if anyone has had this issues after any of these were installed/enabled. Help.

mac pro 2.8 Quad
    Ati 2600
    4 GB
    320 GB/500 GB

2. fsron macrumors member

Mine did the same after adding some things, I don't know which item caused it. Shut the computer down and unplugged everthing for it to reset. Works perfect now. I have had the computer for about two weeks now and no issues.

3. geon macrumors member

When mine does this, it almost predictably will have a "won't wake from sleep" issue. As a matter of fact, It just happened and had to press the power button to shut it down. I tried to get it sleep on its own but to no avail. I zapped the pram, did the power management reset (forgot name), etc. Oh well. I've also done all the updates, firmware too.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

have you tried putting it on its belly? usually works for me.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Some apps that have background services will keep your machine awake. If they keep accessing the hdd, the machine won't go to sleep.

Here's a good read from Apple's support pages that talks about some of the reasons why your Mac might not sleep.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303698

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Sometimes this happens when you have a USB peripheral that's sending a signal. If I have my machine on sleep and I turn off one of my USB MIDI controllers (MIDI keyboard or evolution UC-33), then the system will wake from sleep. Make sure all your USB stuff is turned off once you sleep your system. Hope this helps.

-Ward

8. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

I found the problem. It must be a bug in Leopard, but having the "Sleep HD when possible" option checked caused the problem. Interestingly, this would also cause my machine to wake between noon and 5 pm. After unchecking, it behaves normally.