Resolved Mac Pro wont stay asleep + Networking issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UncleSchnitty, May 21, 2014.

1. UncleSchnitty, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I know this is tough to figure out over a forum but my mac pro wont stay asleep. Ive been running it the last 4 years without letting it sleep and now that its getting warm I realize if i let it sleep it wont act as a radiator.
    I dont know whats causing it, Ive shut down playback(media server), and wake from ethernet off. If I had to guess I think its my UPS because the machine starts to sleep(power light starts blinking) then the ups clicks and clicks again and the system comes back on except the monitor I have to touch the mouse or keyboard for that.
    Any ideas out there?

I have moved the topic now that the MacPro issue was solved:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1737107

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I had a problem like this awhile ago, I think a PRAM and SMC reset did the trick for me. I didn't have a UPS hooked up at the time.

3. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Thank you for your response, I was actually up will 3am doing research on this. My Apc UPS has 2 control outlets usually this is for a monitor and the computer. Well with the mac 30" cinema display and the mac pro it makes the USP freak out when they go to sleep because its a large power drain so it boots back up.

The Fix: Move the monitor off of a controlled outlet to a normal battery/surge port. System sleeps fine

Weird fix but it works. Now if I could only get my media devices to sill recognize content on my Media Hdd in the computer while it slept my life would be perfect. Sadly I don't think it works that way

4. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Your best best would be to put your Media library on NAS device or something like that. A NAS will keep the network connection alive but spin down the drive when it's not in use. A computer doesn't really have this ability, though Power Nap on the MacBook models is close.

5. UncleSchnitty, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Thats an idea I have been kicking around. The whole reason I need to do something is because my mac pro never sleeps because it is my media server.I tried to keep the server up while it slept but I cant do that. The ~200w power consumption is not only costly but heats my room that its in.
    Now my options are:
    1. get a Nas and hook that up
    2. Mac Mini and connect my usb drive too it.
    3. PogoPlug(although I heard these are kinda terrible)

Funny thing is I just got a Macbook Air(im not going to use that for this because I need it portable) so buying a Mac mini seems overkill(I have a ppcG5, MacPro, iMac for business so I cant use that and now a macbook air)

Moved to MacMini so I didn't go too far off topic:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1737107

6. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

The only problem with the NAS idea is that all it is is a file share. It won't actually work as a media server. You wouldn't be able to connect to it from an AppleTV, for example, because the AppleTV looks for a media server. So for that youl d would want either a Mac Mini or something else that runs either a media server or iTunes.

7. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I was under the impression you could get them to run a UPnP server or else just plugging a HDD into a router would negate the need for NAS boxes.

8. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Typically all that does is set up a file share. You have to look for something that can actually run as a media server.

9. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Looks like mac mini is going to be the best answer