Mac Pro won't wake up from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by starkmac, Jul 23, 2009.

1. starkmac macrumors newbie

I have an intel based mac pro running tiger. When it falls asleep if it's asleep for an extended period of time...say 45 minutes or longer, it won't wake up. I have to manually power it down. If it's asleep for less than 45 minutes it wakes up fine. Anything I can do to fix this problem?

2. Jethro57 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I just bought a used powermac the other day and it does the same thing. When I try to wake it I get a black screen with the cursor and that's it. When I hit the keyboard it just makes this 'bonking' sound. Oh well, knew there had to be something wrong with it.

I'll keep googling and see what I come across and let you know. Not sure we have the same issues though.

Good luck

3. Jethro57 macrumors newbie

Hey, I resolved my problem about 10 minutes after I posted. lol.

Not sure if you tried this already but try going into the energy saver and unchecking everything. Then set your screensaver to never. Mine was some kind of conflict with the screensaver and the sleep settings or something.

4. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Are you sure it didnt have anything to do with one of your USB devices?

5. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that for sure. And it could be because of a USB device? I recently bought a wireless adapter and if I'm not mistaken my problem with the sleep occurred soon after that. So that makes sense. Any way to get by that?

6. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Do you have USB overdrive or steermouse installed? Those programs are good but have been know to be culprits for weird stuff.

7. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have either. The usb was one I bought on Ebay, It's a d-link model and it was really hard to find a mac driver for it. It works but it's not the best. I had such a hard time finding an adapter i just settled for one I could get to work. Wish I would have used this site a few weeks ago. This place is great!

8. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jethro! I set the screensaver to never and it seems to be okay now. Good work!