mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RJS9S, Aug 7, 2007.

1. RJS9S macrumors member

well after today im upset they didnt update the mac pro, but tomorrow is the day i order so... im not sure if i should get the 24"iMac 2.8ghz config, or the standard 2.66 mac pro.i will be using this computer for video editing, sound editing, entertainment, etc... (im planing on using final cut studio) any help? thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Now that they've got a 4GB RAM ceiling and a really fast CPU, the iMac is a worthwhile choice if - if - the lack of internal expansion capabilities and less powerful display options don't bother you. I think they're a beautiful and vastly smaller choice, and, unless you're really planning on taxing your system, a reasonable choice.

3. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

the only problem im having with the mac pro is the fact that the only thing better of it then the imac is the processor and the fact that you can upgrade it (gfx any better?)

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Get the Mac Pro....forget the iMac. You might want to add a DeckLink card for FCP later on so you can edit native HD on a professional monitor connected via Component BNC or even HDMI/HD-SDI.

Your 2.66 Mac Pro will eat the fastest iMac alive.

5. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

This iMac is all nice and stuff but the Mac Pro still remains the King of The Hill.

I'd still take a Mac Pro over an iMac if it came to FCP editing, which I do.

The Mac Pro can be upgraded with numerous amounts of parts and the upgrading is SUPER easy. (To Upgrade the hard drive, open the mac pro, pull open the sled, screw hard drive to it, slide it in, close mac pro, plug it all in and it works).

7. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

yah the mac pro is what im leaning twords (just gonna have to invest alot more money into) im thinking on getting a raptor 10k hd for main the puting the stock 250gb in it and adding (2) 2gb sticks of ram (for now) what do you think of this set up? what are you guys using? thanks.

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Forget the raptor.

Keep the 250 gig drive as your Boot drive, there isn't a big difference IMO.

Buy a 500 gig drive for 110 dollars, heck buy 2-3 of them and you have 1.5 tertabytes right there.

For Hard Drive www.newegg.com and look for SATA 3 drives

Get at least 3-4 gigs of ram in the system, the Mac Pro screams when you get loads of ram.

Buy ram from www.macsales.com or www.transintl.com

9. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

11. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yeah, don't get Mac Pro RAM from places like NewEgg...try OWC. I've had great success with them. I've had bad success with Crucial (3 different shipments were bad) but that's not to say that others haven't had luck. But I'll lean over to OWC.

13. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I used the 250 for my boot drive for a few weeks, then switched to a Raptor, and then use my 320GB drives in a RAID0 striped array.

It is MUCH MUCH faster. If you want to use a raptor for your boot drive, you will feel a difference. Plus, in a Mac Pro, who needs more than 150GB for their boot drive with limitless storage options, both internal and external.

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Of course you need 150 gigs+ for your boot drive.

If you have Final Cut Studio, that takes up LOTS of space and all the other apps. You can fill up half the drive with Studio alone.

Besides, I can't afford a raptor, I'd much rather have more hard drive space and RAM.

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

The X1900, though old and crappy, is 3 times as fast as the one in the best mac pro.

Sad to say.

16. flappo macrumors regular

don't you mean the best imac ?

the new imac is a step backwards imo , so much for the brave new world of apple design

the g4 imac was probably teh single most adventurous design the imacs been through , they should've refined that , the new imac's ugly as ****

17. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

i think the imac is sleek, i like it! but do you think i would really notice an overall gain by switching the gfx card and spending the extra 300 on the x1900? (i dont play games)

18. flappo macrumors regular

i doubt it , plus the 7300 will probably be much quieter than the x1900 and doesn't have the heat problem

i'm considering buying a 7300 and swapping it for my radeon as it's just SO damn noisy plus i get weird flickers all over the screen all the time..

like you , i don't game on my mac , so why bother with a powerful 3d card in the first place ?

19. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If you use Motion/anything 3d, it is highly recomended.

Other than that, it is pointless.