Mac problem with saving files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noitsnneill, Nov 7, 2010.

1. noitsnneill macrumors newbie

So my Mac Pro 13, has what I think is a virus. At times when I download files, it does not save them. Also when I try to open Itunes at various times, it is unable to open. They also have error messages where it says, Itunes is unable to save current information. If anyone has any information on what to do, it is appreciated.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Try repairing your permissions. Do it with Disk Utility.

What browser do you use?

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I second disk permissions repair. Tell us if that fixes it.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Try scanning your system with http://clamxav.com/. It contains definitions for all the known Mac trojans.

I doubt this is the problem but it will give you piece of mind and eliminate malware as the cause.

Scan your entire system as follows:

1) Add Applications, Library, System, & Users to the ClamXav UI ("+" lower left corner).

2) Hold the command key and click all four items; then click scan.

I recommend ClamXav because the engine (ClamAV) it uses is the same as the default AV scanner included in Mac OS X Server. Also, it is easier to remove if you do not wish to keep it on your system.

5. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

These symptoms could indicate it may be your ram has started failing. I had this happen a while back, run Apple Hardware Test to eliminate this possibility. Good Luck:eek:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have a virus, since none exist that run on current Mac OS X.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

7. LikuidMetal macrumors regular

LikuidMetal

8. tekksan macrumors regular

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Useless, since neither ClamXav nor Sophos can detect something that doesn't exist, and the OP's issue has nothing to do with malware.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have an Apple Store near you, go online and make a Genius Bar reservation. They'll look at it for you for free, even if you're out of warranty.

11. tekksan macrumors regular

Really? A simple google query of "mac trojan" yields some interesting results.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=mac+trojan

Also, I acknowledged the OPs issue has nothing to do with malware. Maybe you missed that too...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a trojan, not a virus, and does not create the issues that the OP is having. Trojans can easily be avoided with some common sense, as described in the link I posted.
    That's why I said the suggestion about Sophos was useless, as it doesn't address the OP's issue.

13. tekksan macrumors regular

virus/trojan, etc. = all malware. People mistakenly believe Macs are immune to all manners of malware and they are not. I was simply adding the fact Sophos has a free solution to detect these types of apps.

And I know the user's issues isn't related to malware, you're restating what I first said but I thought anybody else reading this thread might be interested to know about the Sophos product...you clearly are not.

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

15. noitsnneill thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help, i will do all this later this week and tell you guys what happens.

16. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

Thank you for this link.

There was an October 26 update of a Java-enabled trojan horse which can be spread on social networks like Facebook. Here is the advice given:

I'm new to MBP and I'm wondering if most Mac users have in fact disabled Java. Is there REALLY a need for it so that disabling it is not a loss? I'm wondering what others here have done.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've disabled Java in Safari and I have rarely seen any difference in my web browsing. YMMV

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

These threads crack me up and GGJstudios is always on the spot with his helpful suggestions. I often wonder why do some people seem to want Mac viruses or find other malware on their Macs? I for one love doing as has been repeatedly suggested here--to use common sense to avoid malware--and since there are no current viruses, there is nothing to avoid there. But my point is why install something on your Mac that undoubtedly will take resources away and provide little if any value, and may in fact make your Mac run poorly--or worse.

19. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

In relation to Java based trojans, disabling Java will prevent Java from downloading the payload but you are still protected by not running the installer for that pay load as stated at the bottom of the Intego article.

If you want Java enabled but you want more control over when it is able to run, install Plugin Customs from the Safari Extension Gallery. Plugin Customs provides click to run functionality for all Safari plugins.

As supported by GGJstudios statement, there is no need to have Java enabled in your browser unless you work in a corporate setting that requires heavy reliance on Java web apps. Any Java web app you find useful in day to day browsing usually can be replaced with a better native app solution.

20. munkery, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I would not use Sophos because the component (and almost all of its components) of the software that receives updates is running with root privileges such that an exploit would be remote root if an exploit was found for that component.

For example, McAfee LinuxShield <= 1.5.1 Local/Remote Root Code Execution. Different OS but same principle could be used if exploit found in Mac AV software running as root.

With ClamXav, all of the components do not run as root. The exception is a daemon that scans for changes in folders to initiate launching clamscan if you use the Sentry feature but it does not receive inputs from a remote source.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

The only times I use java is when uploading to an online server arrive or online banking both do not have native apps sadly :(

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use online banking and have had no problems doing so with Java disabled. It really depends on how each particular site is built.

23. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You have to put a lot of faith in 3rd party virus software when it runs as root--I simply don't have that kind of faith. :D