Mac Problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smatzy, May 16, 2010.

1. Smatzy macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm posting because I have a strange problem with my iMac intel (which i bought two years ago now).

The problem is this: - He reboots alone without any message or asking me to do it, it's just like a power switch off but it's not! because when it happens I didn't noticed any variation on the light or other running devices using the same plug...

He can do it between 1 and 10 times in one day, or once a week or nothing for a month. Lately he reboots while he is rebooting... and that what worry me.

I thought it could be a virus or even a corrupted application so I installed ClamXav but he didn't find a thing, then I tried MacScan but nothing wrong fund too.

Anyone can tell me what that can be? :(

Thanks for reading.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Smatzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that but I forgot to say it. It didn't fixed it.

I'll try that then wait and see what happens :D I'll tell you if it fixed it or not but, I can't say when... since he reboots when he wants to do it... no matter if I'm running applications or when he is just turned on with only the OS activity :confused:

4. Smatzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried PRAM reset... it didn't work either, he rebooted twice since I made that.
    Thank you anyway Hellhammer, I didn't know all that.

Any other idea of what this can be?

Thnaks.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot

6. Smatzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well well well... I maybe didn't use the correct word to explain my problem.

So I'll replace Reboot by restart then...

It's like he switches off then on alone without asking me anything. But I was searching more information about this on google, and I found that maybe I bought an iMac with a problem in his plug and mother board. All the iMac manufactured in middle 2007 with the the model ID: iMac7,1 can present problems like mine. So the best thing to do is maybe to go and contact the Apple store, the problem is I do not have the warranty anymore... :D but people said that it doesn't matter because is a manufactured problem that must be replaced even for free if it really that case.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did you TRY those steps anyway? They fix multiple issues, not just booting issues

8. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Hope you got applecare, sounds more like a hardware problem than software!