Mac Problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th3goob, Dec 20, 2011.

1. th3goob macrumors regular

My mac hard drive went in my mbp 2011 13in, so i called apple and they said i should receive a box...but i never did so do they have to compensate me in any way? sorry if i sound greedy just kinda po'ed because my first mac is only 6 months old and laying here broken because apple doesnt put forth the effort to make sure my box is shipped.

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

call Apple and tell them the box never came. Or go to an Apple store, make an appointment with a Genius.

Reimburse for what? Your mac needs service, once it gets to them it'll get fixed. One little box is going to hold you up? No way, call Apple if it has to be an Apple box.

3. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

i was told the box would be here today, and it wasnt...so im kinda fed up. and its not making my first mac experience very enjoyable....

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Unfortunately hardware is going to fail no matter who makes it or put's it together. How was your first 6 months of use ???

5. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

oh it was nice, but im about to rage very freaking hard...apple just told me they are backordered on boxes until the freaking 29th of january! HOW ARE THEY BACKORDERED ON BOXES!!!!!!!

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Wow, settle down. Did they give you any other options on how to deal with it? Call them back, explain the situation and that you really can't wait until the end of January to get it repaired. Stay calm, don't yell at them. Just explain things and ask them what they can do to get it fixed sooner. Do you live anywhere near an Apple store? If you do, make a Genius bar appointment.

7. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

My friend had a Harddrive go in his computer. Took it to apple and they replaced the hard drive and sent him on his way

8. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

the closest apple store is 3 hours away and i need it before january....

9. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Chances are, even if you send it in the mail, you won't be getting it back before January due to the holiday's coming up. Your best bet is to make an appointment at a store and hope they will fix it on the spot.

10. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

11. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

will they send me a shipping label or something? cause my parents cannot drive me and i dont have a car...

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Is there not any apple authorized repair shops around? There is actually quite a few of them in my city that co exist with the apple store..I actually prefer to go to one of them over the apple store.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

wouldn't an external HD work for the time being?

Plug in external HD, insert the OSX install disc, install OSX on external HD, win!

Do you really live in an Area without any Apple Service Provider?

14. Takashi macrumors regular

True that. The apple authorized repair centres have certified techs able to fix your mac. If I can choose I probably won't go to the apple store.

Of course, you can just ditch the dead HD and plug in a temporary one for the time being.

15. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

it wont let me boot it from a external hdd, i tried that. and we have 1 in state college pa, and 1 in pittsburgh...i live pretty far away from both of them places

16. Takashi macrumors regular

Can you at least get your hands on a notebook HD and install it into your mac book and use it for the time being?

17. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Does it boot up when you insert the installation DVD? If not, then probably more than just the HD is broken.

Middle of nowhere is bad...

You could try to call Apple again, ask about the status of your repair.

19. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

You need to call apple and explain them your situation

20. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

i called apple, they told me the box would not ship until the 29th of january, or i can make a long trip to get it fixed, and it boots from the cd drive just not anything else. and i tried to install osx lion and snow leopard and i get a i/o error.

21. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The last time I went to the Apple store it was for the 3-4 repair. Like everyone said, computer will break down. On this visit, there was a family there who had driven 2hrs to the store with a baby in tow. The genius guy told me it would take atleast week for Apple to repair my hard drive. And told them 30min to fix theirs. By the time I returned home, my MBP was repaired.

I would make the trip, and tell them that you need it that day. You might even try phoning ahead. :) Really it's not that hard. You would really complain if you had to deal with Dell. One of my friends, it took them 6 months to get someone. 6months vs 3 hours hmmm

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What happens is you shut the laptop down, connect an external HD, insert the DVD, boot from the CD drive?

From there, you should be able to install SL on the external disc. Once it is installed, you can boot from that disc, not before!

23. th3goob thread starter macrumors regular

oh i delt with dell, thats why i bought a mac...but i will most likely make the trip, if i tell them i cannot come back after i make 1 trip, so could they ship it to me, or do they usually try to finish it in 1 day

24. John SC macrumors newbie

When you tried to boot from the external HD did you it format with a GUID partition table ? You need this to boot from a external hard drive. Use Disk utility to do this. Inserting the boot disk should enable you to access disk utility, from there select the external hard drive, choose the number of partitions you want ( Usually one) the click on the options tab at the bottom of the page. Select GUID and then partition the drive.

You should then be able to install the OS onto this and be able to boot from it. However booting from a USB drive can take some time, but does get the machine up and running