Mac Problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacUserR, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MacUserR macrumors newbie

I installed an apple software update which seemed to corrupt my hard drive and stopped the mac from booting.
    I took it to the Apple store. This was their diagnosis:

"Machine is not booting following a problem with Lion to 10.7.2. Advised we would need to book the machine in to reinstall OS.

SMART status shows disk to be ok, disk utility is unable to repair verbose boot shows no I/O errors but cannot complete fsck.

Advised customer that the machine would need a clean install, declined at this time as he would like to try to recover data."

I have tried to recover data through Connecting another mac with firewire using 'target' or 't-bar' (pressing 't' when booting to turn it into an external hard drive). This did recognise my mac hard drive with my name and file folders, however, it had a stop sign (like a stop road sign) and showed folders as empty. Any ideas how I can recover the data?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What kind of Mac? If you can remove the HDD, you can connect it to another Mac using a USB to SATA cable and try to recover your files that way.

I know it's a little late for anyone to say this, but after you get back up and running, use Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or Crashplan to back up your data. With Crashplan you have the option to buy a subscription to back your data up to their servers. I have had to use this once when my wife's Time Machine backup got corrupted. In other words, don't just have 1 backup. Have at least 2. 0 backups? You might as well say your data isn't important to you. I had a situation where a firmware update appeared to wipe a network drive. The manufacturer offered to recover my data for me... for a $400 to $1200 fee. Luckily I never have merely one copy of anything so that company got none of my money that day!

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would recommend either DiskWarrior or Data Rescue 3 for that. Either is $99, but they both work well for these types of situations.

jW