Mac Prodigy SE

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Bobdude161, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I just found one of these things. Basically it looks like a SE except it has a tag on the front that says "Prodigy SE by Levco". Model number is M5010. Anyone familiar with this kind of Mac? I Googled around and I didn't get any good answers.

2. MLeepson macrumors 6502

3. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

www.apple-history.com didn't come up with anything

Found this though. Link

pics.

Attached Files:

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

congrats on the find!

Quite a nifty little system you have there!

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's a very interesting variant - and a clever way to ensure system compatibility. Not too many 68020 Macs out there.

I used to have a Mac II and Mac IIfx back in high school before my old man threw them out "by accident" while cleaning the garage. :(

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Looks like just a processor upgrade card. I had one in my Classic that doubled the speed (had a faster processor with cache on it).

7. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Another link (japanese)

or as Google translates.

:D

Another link (google cache, don't know if it'll work)

that's based off of what someone told someone else.

I suppose, I'm pretty damn lucky. This is going on my wall for sure!

8. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

newly found info just in case someone else is doing research on this machine.

Link

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

EDIT:

I found one of Levco's ex-employees' e-mail and decided to get some questions answered. Duane Maxwell is his name. He now works for Chumby Industries. Really thankful he helped me out and this small interview will provide some great historical information on the Prodigy SE.

9. funkotronic macrumors newbie

Wow, been a while since I've seen one of these...

I had one as well, I lived in San Diego at the time and bought it used. But it SMOKED the Plus that I was replacing! I think I paid somewhere around $1200 for the system, it was a bargain. Then I found yet another FatSE, this one had a Supermac accel/video board in at and it came with a truly stunning 21-inch monitor. I ended up doing most of my day-to-day work on the Supermac machine because the larger screen would save more valuable production time by reducing the amount of scrolling and zooming. But when it came to operations which needed the raw muscle, the Levco machine would get to do the heavy lifting. Side note: My good buddy had an SE with a Mobius board & full-page monitor, we truly were "the shee-it" among our circle of geek friends. I carried both of those machines around until the early 90s - mostly out of a sense of love, plus an annoying lack of funds - until I got my first color Mac, a Performa 400 I found on clearance for about $375 (in late 95?) back in a dusty corner at Montgomery Wards. Color was a sweet luxury, and out of habit (and familiarity) I could still create (and properly interpret) color design work on the Supermac faster and crunch audio better on the Levco.

Ahh, sweet memories. System 6 rocked!

10. turbogaming, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

turbogaming macrumors newbie

I just picked one up from eBay.
    I plugged it into my MacSE and it performed much faster than expected! My SE is now turbocharged!
    The added FPU is awesome!

Problems:
    Sound is jittery. It isn't jittery when I reboot into the Mac SE mode.
    2MB memory is lower than the SE's 4MB with no option of upgrading

There is supposed to be a control panel or system extension for this but I cannot find it anywhere! I wonder if it would fix the jittery audio.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the control panel?

Also I noticed 32 bit color quickdraw does not appear to be working (for graphics applications). Does anyone know if there is a way to enable this since I am using a 32 bit processor with 32 bit ram?

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Hadn't heard of this specific upgrade before, but it sounds like it was a much better option than some others of it's time.

I believe software consisted of a RAM Disk option and a "Prodigy System Resource" file. The extreme top left paragraphs of this 1987 review reveal such:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...M&dq=prodigy levco&pg=PA72#v=onepage&q&f=true

It's just possible that the only way to get this might be to contact somebody who owns one to see if the files are on the HD of the machine they have and request a copy:

http://s900.photobucket.com/user/jsarchibald/library/Apple/Prodigy SE by Levco

12. turbogaming macrumors newbie

Use of existing ram

I noticed the prodigy board does not allow existing SE ram to be be used however there are other accelerator boards which do. Does anyone know if there is a workaround?

Here is one:
    http://www.micromac.com/products/multispeed.html

It came out later than the prodigy and is considerably cheaper!
    I'd like to find out if Quicktime may be used with an accelerator.