Mac Pros and non RAID card RAID 10?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dgdosen, Mar 1, 2008.

1. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'm looking at the Disk Utility help right now, and am thinking I can set up my new mac pro with RAID 10 without using hardware RAID - do you agree?

First - If you look at the help file, it notes you can create a combined raid set to basically get to RAID 10. Did I read that correctly? Did anyone else ever try it?

Next, if the above is true, I'd install MacOS on a spare drive, and attach that drive back to the MacPro via USB.

Then, reboot into the spare drive, while having the four real HD's in the Mac Pro.

While booted into the spare drive, create that combined RAID 10 set with the four internal drives.

Then install MacOS on that new RAID set.

Rock out.

Anyone ever try this? I want to run Vista for development purposes, and was bummed that Vista couldn't work with the RAID card, but this seems to me to be a great (and probably better) alternative.

2. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Sorry - I started this thread prior to seeing this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=266328

But now I wonder - the 10.5 disk utilty notes to create your three arrays (two mirrors and a stripe, or two stripes and a mirror) at once and then create the combined set - does that fix what looks like an underperforming perf bug for RAID 01?

3. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Setting up right now!

Here's how I set up 4 750 gig HD's in Disk Utility. I went with the supported RAID 01 - We'll see how fast it goes.

Yes, I know I'm mixing and matching vendors. At least they're all 750's!

[​IMG]