Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Hey all -

Thinking about picking up a Mac Pro - and wanted to ask this forum a question or two:

- Do you need the $800 RAID card for all types of RAID? Even mirroring?

- If you do use some kind of hardware RAID (preferably the free kind), does it work well with Bootcamp and Vista?

- Are there problems with picking up HD's from New Egg? I think I read somewhere on this forum that some of the drives needed to be flashed to work properly with the Mac Pro.

Thanks for any advice...

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
No RAID controller needed for RAID 0 striping, RAID 1 mirroring, or JBOD. The OS X software can do this. I use a software JBOD on my Mac Pro. However you will need that controller for RAID 5, RAID 01, RAID 10, etc...

I believe, but am not totally certain, that you cannot use Bootcamp on a RAID-ed computer.

I bought my second drive for my Pro on newegg with no problem ... I believe I had to format it though.

sturob

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2005
Houston, TX
That NewEgg/flash problem was with a particular brand of drive, for which (it would seem) NewEgg got some of their stock before the firmware was updated. I think it was a Seagate thing, could have been WD. I bet if you search for it you'll find it.

The only real problem for us is that you need a PC to flash the firmware.

Stuart

Canoehead2

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
No RAID controller needed for RAID 0 striping, RAID 1 mirroring, or JBOD. The OS X software can do this. I use a software JBOD on my Mac Pro. However you will need that controller for RAID 5, RAID 01, RAID 10, etc...

I believe, but am not totally certain, that you cannot use Bootcamp on a RAID-ed computer.

I bought my second drive for my Pro on newegg with no problem ... I believe I had to format it though.

You can use bootcamp on a RAIDed machine, but it is not easy and there are limitations. My primary drive is 2 WD 750s in Raid0 - my bootcamp partition lives on a different HDD. To do this I sort of had to go manual - the Bootcamp assistant won't do it. So I used the Disk Utility to set up my bootcamp drive with a Master Boot Record, then restarted with the WIN XP CD in - held down the Alt key and went thru the Windows setup, etc. Works fine.

I helped to set up another machine with a similar setup, but for some reason Windows didn't want to install, so I had to pull the drive, connect it to a windows machine briefly - I left the partition intact but did an NTFS format. Worked fine, Windows installed etc.

Not for the faint of heart, but doable

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
You can use bootcamp on a RAIDed machine, but it is not easy and there are limitations. My primary drive is 2 WD 750s in Raid0 - my bootcamp partition lives on a different HDD. To do this I sort of had to go manual - the Bootcamp assistant won't do it. So I used the Disk Utility to set up my bootcamp drive with a Master Boot Record, then restarted with the WIN XP CD in - held down the Alt key and went thru the Windows setup, etc. Works fine.

I helped to set up another machine with a similar setup, but for some reason Windows didn't want to install, so I had to pull the drive, connect it to a windows machine briefly - I left the partition intact but did an NTFS format. Worked fine, Windows installed etc.

Not for the faint of heart, but doable

Do you have Apple's RAID card installed?

mac

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Do you have Apple's RAID card installed?

mac

He must have as hardware is the only way of doing this. Unless windows knows how to handle a Mac OS X array, very unlikely.

As for the free kind, hardware RAID isn't free and software RAID(the free kind) won't work with bootcamp.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
So Apple does provide drivers to allow Vista access to the hardware RAID?

I was googling around and haven't seen anyone do it before. You may need a separate drive to pull it off. However, you might be able to do it without using bootcamp not %100 sure.:(

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
So Apple does provide drivers to allow Vista access to the hardware RAID?

No, they do not, a couple of us guys are trying to figure out a way to do it. Check the other RAID card thread for details:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/384459/

So if you have a RAID card there is no Apple support for using it under windows. I haven't seen anyone be able to boot a mac pro drive connected to a RAID card into any flavor of windows, that is why I was asking.

mac

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
so using the last post in the link above (https://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=384459&page=5) is it possible to have bootcamp on your non RAID data disk when you've got OSX and Apps on a RAID array? Would windows then see two disks (the data/bootcamp one) and the remaining Backup drive?

This is when not using a RAID card.

Many thanks

Miles

Yes, you will be fine as long as you are not using either Apple's RAID card or an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.