Mac Pro's fans are faulty

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zer0tails, Sep 26, 2008.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

hi,

i hope someone can help.

I just received my new mac pro (8 core, dual 2.8 ghz, early 2008) this morning, everything was fine the whole day but all of a sudden the machine has gotten very, very loud, like a vacuum cleaner.

Not sure what's going on as this doesn't sound normal. like the fans are stuck or something? When I open up the case I see a fan on the graphics card spinning very fast. Could that be it? The card is also covered in plastic, am i supposed to remove that?

When i sleep the machine, the sound goes away but comes back on immediately upon restart.
    :confused: please help someone.

2. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Unless you're exaggerating, that doesn't sound normal. Get a utility like iStat Pro and figure out how hot your computer is running. If it actually is running too hot, then take it to the apple store and have them look at it.

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

4. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks for the quick replies. Nope, not exaggerating.

Going to try that system reset. Bringing it to an Apple store is something I hope I can avoid as the machine is heavy, and there are no Apple stores nearby. Will need to borrow a car if that is the case.

I checked the temps in iStat pro..there are a bunch. Which one should i be looking at? CPUs are at 35 degrees celsius.

5. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Look at the GPU diode. Your CPU is running cold at least..

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Some of the video cards have really insane fans, if the SMC reset does not work I would check out and firmware updated for the video card. I have the ATI from the first gen MP and that was really loud until I did the firmware update.

7. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

uh this is weird..but there is no GPU Diode showing..the highest temp is 66 degrees and that is the power supply..

exhaust, CPU fan, and power supply are running at 600 rpm and under. HD/Expansion at 799 rpm

System monitor shows user at 1% with 99% idle.

I'm just surfing at the moment, with iTunes and adium on.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If I'm correct, the GPU won't report its temperature to the computer, but most likely it is the graphics card (if none of the temperatures reported elsewhere are extreme) which controls its own fan. The stock card's fan is somewhat louder than the other system fans, or perhaps I should say that it actually speeds up, but if the noise is constant and the system is idle, then you have a problem and need a replacement card. You did mention a piece of plastic over the card... I'd thinking you were referring the cover over the heat sink on the GPU (colored red on the stock card), but if it's some sort of film covering the entire card (I guess it could happen) I would recommend you remove it.

9. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Thanks everyone for your kind advice. Really appreciate it!

I tried the SMC reset, and it seems to have solved the problem. :)

I'm still a little wary it might show up later, but I hope it stays the way it is now.

thanks again

EDIT: It's back again...hmmmmm

10. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I have determined that the noise is coming from the ATI 2600 graphics card fan.

What is interesting now is that, it will be very loud for awhile, and then start sputtering and go completely quiet. And in a little while, it will try to star again, sputtering fast and slow for awhile before going back to full blast, and that's when the noises start. Is this a sign of a failing graphics card?

:mad: I have some recording work I need done this weekend as well. And this is definitely not helping.

Will swopping a new graphics card help? Or Should I try an archive and install?

thanks, and advice is greatly appreciated.

11. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Try giving Apple a call and explaining your issue. To me, it sounds like a faulty GPU.

Another option is to pull the GPU (the graphics card) out, and using a vacuum cleaner to make sure there's no dust or plastic in there.

12. rtrt, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

rtrt: Everything is up to date. 10.5.5 and the latest firmware for the ati card.

I've been on the phone half the day with Apple care and two different tech support agents.

1. suggested I go to an Apple service provider/Store but there are no open slots at all this weekend.

2. Advised an archive and install.

I tried going to Library/preferences to look for the power management plist but it seems there is none.

Could that explain the problem?

I opened the computer up, checked for dust etc. and there is none. Nothing seems to be blocking the vents. I already removed the plastic.

14. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

OK i give up. I've tried erasing the system and reinstalling. Cleaning and everything. Changing the port where i plug the monitor into but the graphics card fan is still going on at full blast.

Looks like i won't be getting any work done this week.

ugh..i feel like an idiot for buying a refurb now..

only got myself to blame i guess :(

15. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you just got a video card with a bad fan is all, they should swap it under warranty without any debate.

16. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

ok if it's just the card then a trip to the Genius bar is in order.

If they do agree to swop out the video card, any reason i should opt for the Nvidia 8800? That is, it'll be quieter and less prone to problems?