Mac pros ram order

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leechlife, Feb 28, 2009.

1. leechlife macrumors member

Hi

I upgraded my mac pro with 2x2gb of ram (mac pro matched, corsair - big heatsinks),

So I installed em as outlined in the manual, moved the mac 2x1gb from apple on one site, and 2x2gb in pair on the bottom.

1: as I have one mem card with 2x2gb, the other 2x1gb, Is there any preference where they should be? I mean is there any differnece if I have the 2x1gb pair on the bottom or on the top card (the 2x2gb pair vise versa)?

2: windows Xp on my bootcamp (use that mainly gaming), does only see 2gb of ram, I know windows has limitations, but I thought it would be able to handle around 3-4 gb, (I know it can't handle 6gb).
    Is there any reason why it would not see more than the first 2gb?

3: In terms of gaphic cards, can I install any ati/nvidia pci express card if I 'JUST' wanna use it under windows?
    MacOS is mainly for logic and photoshop, none of them need more than a display driving card.
    Windows is only gaming, so I wonder if i can put in a second pci express card, that only runs under windows???
    Can that be done without any trouble?

cheers

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Nope. That's fine.
    2. It's not 64-bit.
    3. There are problems associated with just having other cards in there. You're going to have the fans running full-tilt when you're in OS X, even though the card won't be used.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

This has to be an issue with how the Mac Pro allocates address space for XP. When I ran XP Pro SP2 on a PC with 4GB of RAM, the system would report about 3GB of RAM in the system.

While the XP you are using not being a 64-bit OS in an issue, it is not the reason the Mac Pro limits the RAM available to 2MB versus ~3GB as most PC hardware would.

S-

4. weez999 macrumors member

In response to question 1 only, you are supposed to install RAM in a certain way. In fact, the inside of the removable side panel shows you the method. You need to put one in the upper tray and then one in the lower tray in the same corresponding slot. It should be illustrated and in fact, it's in the manual. It makes a difference believe it or not.

5. Abidubi macrumors 6502

1 PAIR... not 1 stick.

IIRC from reading the online guide (I don't have a macpro) the proper configuration is as follows. 1 = first pair, 2= second pair, 3 = 3rd pair, 4 = 4th pair

Upper: 1000
    Lower: 1000

Upper: 1100
    Lower: 2200

Upper: 1122
    Lower: 3300

Upper: 1122
    Lower: 3344

Double check the user guide though, I haven't looked in a while.

The pairs do not need to be the same size, but both sticks IN the pair do. I don't think the order of the pairs would really make a difference, but I would always install the largest pairs first.

From what he said, he did it right.

6. leechlife thread starter macrumors member

ok,I might try switching the pairs and see if the 2gb pair comes first, then maybe win32 can see the 3 gb i expected it to see.
    thanks