Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I just read this here: (http://www.hardmac.com) and was wondering if anyone who has a Mac Pro has smelled anything foul coming from it? Just curious I guess.

"Could It Be Dangerous to Work with a Mac Pro?! - Lionel - 15:50:43

About one year ago, we were reporting on our French website (macbidouille.com) that some Mac Pro owners were complaining about a weird and irritating smell coming our of their Mac Pro when it was switch on. We did not hear about this issue anymore, and Apple did not communicate about it, as defective parts were simply exchanged apparently.
Today, an article published in one of the leading French newspaper (http://www.liberation.fr) might bring this story back to the front page while bringing embarrassing information for Apple.

A scientist from the CNRS (National Center for Science and Research) was affected by this strange smell coming from his Mac Pro. As Apple could not fix the problem, he contacted Greenpeace to get the vapors analyzed by an independent laboratory. Results are surprising and might place Apple in a difficult position, while potentially igniting a scandal. Indeed, vapors were identified as toxic, harmful and among the compounds identified, there were styrene, benzene and other derivatives. All those chemicals are known for being highly toxic, and the benzene has been forbidden and is use is strictly controlled due to its carcinogenous properties:

This material is a known carcinogen. The risks of using it in the laboratory must be fully assessed before work begins. TLV 10 ppm. Short-term exposure may cause a variety of effects, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, narcosis, reduction in blood pressure, CNS depression. Skin contact may lead to dermatitis. Long-term exposure may lead to irreversible effects. Severe eye irritant. Skin and respiratory irritant.

Beside the irritating properties of those chemicals, some are suspected of contributing to leukemia for people being exposed for a long period of time. Of course, this analysis will have to be confirmed by another laboratory, and the detected amount to be controlled and compared with the TLV defined by the respective MSDS, but Apple can not remain silent and will have to identify how such chemicals could end up in a Mac Pro."

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Of course, this analysis will have to be confirmed by another laboratory

We all are going to die. I new that.

I'm selling all my Macs and buying PCs first thing in the morning.

Thank God that PCs are made from clean and healthy materials.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Yet another reason why my next computer will be a Hackintosh!

No-no-no! Buy a generic PC. It's clean for sure. They're using absolutely different parts, you know, especially after Apple's move to Intel. Now everything is fundamentally different.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
population control... hell, everything causes cancer now eh? new car smell, bacon, kittens...

...plastic bottles, mobile phones, cordless phones, iTunes, iPods (well, they blow you up more than give you cancer :p), TVs, magazines, newspapers... :rolleyes:

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Does it have an exhaust pipe with catalyser, you know, like in a car? A modern PC does. No deadly smells. Perfumes only (Chanel No. 5).

I'm seriously considering building an enclosure out of wood, something like cherry and walnut. I gotta figure out a grounding system, though. Not for toxins or the such, just because I'd like my hackintosh to blend in with the furniture.

Oh, and you should have just edited your double post.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
Kittens don't cause cancer! :mad:
its only a matter of time before a new study surfaces
xyxnervous.gif

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Apparently if you burn your toast or your chips (fries) too much the burn bits have a cancer causing chemical.

I wish I were making this up.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Apparently if you burn your toast or your chips (fries) too much the burn bits have a cancer causing chemical.

I wish I were making this up.

My Spanish teacher (a man in his late fifties-early sixties) eats most of his cooked food burnt, has done so for decades, and has never had cancer.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
My Spanish teacher (a man in his late fifties-early sixties) eats most of his cooked food burnt, has done so for decades, and has never had cancer.

Just as not all smokers get cancer.

But as for the topic at hand, if you spend your whole life worrying about what's dangerous and what's not, you're never going to have time to enjoy it. Do what you want to do and make the most of your time on this planet. You're likely to only get around 75 years, try not to waste 'em on hype and drama.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004

Don't despair, man! Try Mac Pro on him. Get him sniff its killing smell!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Getting stoned, ROXXX!

I'm pretty sure all those chemical compounds are there to make everyone even more addicted into using and buying Mac goods. Great job Apple! pity they don't have the pear-drop aroma, that one I do like.

A warning label for those bottom feeders/windows fanboyz
:D

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I can't believe the responses I'm hearing. I don't know if people just really don't care or if its the apple fanboys in them coming out.

Yes there are a lot of things that cause cancer, which is why cancer is so prevalent in the 21st century. But just because you are going to die doesn't mean you should die younger than you should have or die from something as terrible as cancer.

It's like the arguements that some people that smoke give, it just kills me. "You know all the air you breath is dirty so my smoke won't do anything to you." Ummm WRONG. Just because I can't eliminate all my exposure to toxins doesn't mean I shouldn't LIMIT my exposure to even more toxins.

The body has a toxin threshold, a limit to how much toxins it can take. So yes the air we breathe isn't pure, and yeah those french fries have some carcinogens but the dosage makes the difference. You keep upping the dosage and you're going to get sick so the SMART thing to do is to not expose yourself unnecessarily.

Benzene is nothing to fool around with either. Anyone that works with benzene needs to take serious precautions and ever since we found out how toxic benzene is, it is no longer used in the laboratory's of high schools or undergraduate students. Professors and graduate students may work on it but they know to take serious precautions. Obviously we still work with chemicals that cause cancer, but they aren't as toxic as benzene.

All new computers emit toxic smells. That's why new offices with new computers can make some people sick since the air gets recirculated in some offices. Anyways this post is getting long but I'd be concerned if Benzene was being emitted because we don't know how much it is emitting. Obviously Apple has said "they are working on it" which is an acknowledgement that there is a problem.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Just as not all smokers get cancer.

But as for the topic at hand, if you spend your whole life worrying about what's dangerous and what's not, you're never going to have time to enjoy it. Do what you want to do and make the most of your time on this planet. You're likely to only get around 75 years, try not to waste 'em on hype and drama.

Yeah like that guy who has smoked all his life 50+ years and is still strong? He's the exception. This scientist who worked with Thomas Edison rinsed glasswear with Benzene (common thing to do at the time) and he rinsed his hands with it too. He was 90 years old and didn't get leukimia or cancer, not sure if he got it later on though. Again, he's the exception.

Go talk to the guy who's on a respirator or who's going through chemotherapy because the exposed themselves to abestos, cigeratte smoking etc. and didn't heed the warnings and they'll tell you to be SMART. Don't enjoy yourself now at the risk of NOT being able to enjoy yourself later.

And get that dumb notion out of your head that there are only two extremes, those who worry all the time and those who don't worry. No one is saying spend all your time worrying, you don't obsess about it but you make smart informed decisions and carry on with the rest of your day.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that how long you live isn't quite as important as to the quality of life you live. I'd rather live till I'm 60 assuming I die from say natural causes in a state where I was still able to care for myself and do things I enjoy doing, than say live to 90 with various ailments that cripple me and make me depend on others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.