Mac / PS3 sharing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrmacdude, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mrmacdude macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble getting my ps3 and mac to play nice.

I have nullrivers product medialink.

Without any setup, it worked for about 30 minutes, and occasionally shows up in the media servers.

I THINK my ps3 and mac are connected via ethernet, but its hard to tell (in a dorm). It definitely doesn't see the mac media server from the ps3 by default over the wired network.

Ideally, I need this to work by streaming wireless by making my own network with my airport card (or internet sharing over airport?)
    I got it working briefly like this, but only rarely and unreliably. It tends to disconnect every 5 minutes and never recover.

any advice?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If you're having trouble with Medialink, I suggest trying this application. It works with absolutely no issues for me.

To use your Airport card I suggest creating a device network from your MacBook (Airport menu bar icon > Create Network...) and connecting the PS3 to that. You will be able to share files and stream, and since you are connected via Ethernet you should still be able to access the internet.

3. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get PMS to recognize the ps3 on the created network, unfortunately.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Do you have media servers enabled on the PS3?

5. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it to work forcing the server to have an ip address of 10.0.2.1 which was mostly a guess. It might not work the next time I start it up, but PS3 media server did the trick so far.

thanks!

6. dranakin macrumors 6502

Yeah, I can't get the PS3MediaServer to work at all. The message, "It's ready! You should see the server on the XMB" shows up, but nothing on my PS3 does. And 'Search for Media Servers' gets a repsonse from the program, but not on my PS3.

However, MediaLink works great. I just don't have the $20 to shell out for a constant connection, though I'm tempted to.

EDIT: 'Don't have' is probably the wrong term, since I do have a PS3...I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see if I stream enough first before spending $20 for a program.