Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
My public folder was name using my full name. How can i change this?

Firstly, where did it get my name from? Maybe i typed my full name in at some point - i can't remember, but now i use my intials for my login name and proper short name.

I deselected the folder for sharing then reselected it trying to find if it was re-nameable and in doing this my full name has dissappeared but my short name or initials havent been used - so now it just says "Public" - does anyone know how to name this so when someone selects my laptop under Network it shows "Yuan's" Public Folder?

Maybe if i restart the laptop or repair permissions it will correct itself - ill try now.

Thanks

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
screenshot

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 716

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I would also like to know how to change the Public folder name. The link to the Apple discussion is not very clear :(

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
* I know this is an old post, but it was never answered. *
Note: The commands here are not copy and paste ready, they require modification to be used in your scenario, specifically the name of share plist and possibly the entry that needs to be modified. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

In the directory mentioned in the post:

/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/SharePoints

There are plists, or Property lists that define the attributes of the share.

One of the keys in the plist is "afp_name" as well as "smb_name" and "ftp_name". These are string values that contain the name of the sharepoint.

What you have to do is change these. There are a couple ways to accomplish this:

Property List Editor:

If you have the OS X Developer Tools, there is an Application included in /Developer/Applications/Utilities called Property List Editor. With this, you can easily modify plists.

Now, since editing this file requires root, you will have to either login as root or do the following in Terminal.

Code:
sudo /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property\ List\ Editor /private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/SharePoints/Some\ Users\'s\ Public\ Folder.plist

You will have to change the file name to match what you require.

Enter your password when prompted (it will appear as if you are not typing, this is normal). The plist will then open and you can edit Item0 of the corresponding Array keys mentioned above, afp_name, etc.

If you are logging in as root at the login window, you can simply navigate to the directory in Finder. In addition, you can log in as root in Terminal

Code:
login root
Enter the root password. You can now navigate to the directory or use tab completion to fill in the paths for either of these techniques.

Defaults commands:

This can be done in a single command via Terminal:

Code:
sudo defaults write /private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/SharePoints/Some\ Users\'s\ Public\ Folder afp_name -array "My Public Folder"

You will have to change the plist file name to match the one you want to change. Also change "My Public Folder" to whatever you want the share named. If you want this done for smb, or ftp change the key name to smb_name or ftp_name respectively.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.