Mac Purchase Advice and Guidance

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NiroNavro, Jun 15, 2008.

1. NiroNavro macrumors regular

Hello All,

I am a new member on these boards but I've been reading them for a little while now. I have a couple questions so just bear with me here.

I'm finally making the switch from Windows based PCs but I still need to save money for a Mac. I'm basically set on getting a Mac Mini but am still considering an iMac. Obviously the mac pro is just out of the question. I'll be using my Mac for internet and streaming, DVD movies, music storage, iChat, iMovie, photo storage, and word processing.

I have done a lot of searching but I can find no new evidence on a Mac Mini update since AppleInsider's statement in March, a false Mac Fusion rumor in early June, and a questionable statement about Mac Nano on fudzilla this past Friday. Although my PC no longer works, preventing me from accessing my data, we do have a family PC that I can use for my day to day use. I still have to save money anyway so waiting isn't an issue for now. My concern is that once I save enough, which could be the end of June here, there still won't be an update. I could wait beyond that but I don't know how long I'm going to be waiting for.

I could just keep saving and get an iMac but I'm not sure about that. The reason I wanted a Mac Mini was the price and size. I would get the 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo refurbished product which costs $530 with tax. I could turn it into a media PC but there are some things I would need first:

I don't have a good keyboard, mouse, or display nor do I have a webcam.

I also would need an HDTV at some point or I could just get that to begin with as my new display. It would be great to have a TV tuner and connections for my Wii and PS2 as well.

I'd need external storage so as not to use the minimal 80GB hard drive up. And to speed up my Mac Mini I would have to add RAM manually.

I realize that most of this comes with the iMac but I would still need an HDTV, would I not?

If I purchased the iMac I would have to save for longer but I wouldn't need to wait after that because an update was recently made. For the iMac I was looking at the 24" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Extreme refurbished product which costs $1589 with tax. I thought that this would be the best deal for me if I chose to get an iMac.

Now I realize that I'd have to wait for those products to be in stock as well and that those times are up in the air but they seem to be quite frequent.

Another thing about the iMac is that I can customize the peripherals on it but it is easier to do that on a Mac Mini plus I could use the extra money I would spend on an iMac to buy those peripherals.

I think that I have stated most of my concerns. As you can see I am quite torn, even to the point where my reasoning gets quite confusing. Once I decide on one desktop some reason comes along for me to second guess my decision.

I'm set on a Mac desktop so don't talk to me about any other PC, please. All I want is some guidance. I've been on Apple's site and other sites like this every day for the past month and a half. I've also read and re-read tons of reviews on these products. All I need is some active guidance tailored to me and my needs. Like I said, I go on the internet a lot. I download a lot of music. I want to play movies. I do my gaming on other systems. I use writing and basic office tools. I have a digital camera with some but not too many photos. I also want to get into live video chatting and recording video for youtube.

I'm familiar with most of the tech specs of these systems and most of the lingo as well so don't be afraid to use those in your advice. Give me everything you've got and please ask questions if you need. I want to make the most informed decision that I can.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

:apple: NiroNavro :apple:

2. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

A refurbished 20" iMac can be had for $949 right now from the Apple store. For roughly $450 more than the refurb mini, you are getting:

- a bigger HD
    - a built in web cam
    - a keyboard, mouse
    - a beautiful 20" display

If I am not mistaken from reading your post, these are all things that you do not have, and would need to add with the Mac mini. Additionally, you would also be getting:

- a faster CPU
    - a non-integrated graphic card
    - a beautiful form factor that your friends will all comment on

By the time you add the cost of those extra, why are you not getting an iMac? ;)

3. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

I must admit that you make a good point. I did want the 24" because of it's screen size though. I also see now, after reading a thread, that I could use the EyeTV to turn an iMac into a TV.