Mac RAM Prices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kraznoff, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Kraznoff macrumors member

Is there a reason apple RAM ($400) costs 8x more than standard RAM ($50)?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Scippy macrumors regular

Because they can. People who don't know better will pay for it anyways.

4. Chiuy macrumors 6502

People are scare of opening their macs to upgrade ram/hard drive.
    So they pay professional big bucks to do the upgrade, Apple takes advantage of this.

I find this ironic though, why upgrade if you don't actually know what it does?
    I'm pretty sure like most of us in this forum, we know a thing or two about ram so we know that Apple's ram are overpriced.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Because they can, Apple is going to get as much money out of you as possible before you walk home with one of their computers in your bag.

People pay that much because they don't want to do it themselves, and they have the money to pay Apple to do it for them

6. Synergie macrumors 6502a

What I find EXTREMELY hilarious is when I pulled my RAM out today to replace the 4 GB with 8 GB, imagine my surprise when it has SAMSUNG written on it!

So Apple isn't even using 'Apple' memory! Sooooo... I just did a quick search for what a Samsung 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz stick would cost in the REAL world.... go ahead check it out for yourself!

http://www.memoryx.net/sam4gbddr3s.html

Okay so to be fair the above linked page is for one stick.... just double it... still extremely LAUGHABLE!

Apple is charging 420.00 CDN (on Apple.ca) for the SAME exact memory for 2 x 4 GB sticks of SAMSUNG brand DDR3 1066 MHz... probably the same exact RAM as on the page linked above! And that's NOT installed btw!!!! That's ordering it off the Apple website!

That's 5 TIMES THE GOING PRICE in the real world!!! Do people actually PAY that!??

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

There's no "Apple RAM". Apple uses RAM made by other manufacturers (such as Kingston, Samsung or Hynix) in their products. The likelihood is that you'll easily be able to find equivalent (in both quality and function) RAM online at sites like Amazon and Newegg for a fraction of the cost (e.g. you can now find quality 8GB RAM for $50 or less on Newegg).

Why does Apple do it? Well, because they're Apple and Steve Jobs Likes to squeeze his customers' pockets till the last cent falls out. Don't get me wrong; in the grand scheme, the Apple products are well worth the "extra" you pay for them. However, the astronomic price Apple charges for simple upgrades demonstrates the abuse of power on part of Apple and is nothing more than robbery of the customers who don't know any better.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Greed.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Did you really think Apple made their own RAM? It shouldn't be a surprise they use 3rd party sticks. I'll let you in on a big secrete, the hard drive and "super drive" in your MacBook aren't made by Apple either...

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Oh I know.... I looked at those too while I was poking around in there!!!!

I'm not surprised they use other manufacturer's components.... what I am surprised by is just how much they mark up those components. I knew they marked them up.. I was expecting maybe 2x .... but not 5x the markup!!!

I paid 73.00 today for 2 x 4GB sticks.... Apple wants 420.00!!! That's just INSANE!!!

Just as insane was that Future Shop wanted to convince me to get them to install it for me at 25.00 labour. It was literally a 5 mins job...and I have never had the back off a unibody MBP before (though I did change laptop RAM before on a PC)

11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Apple doesn't produce any hardware components in their products - none. All they do is design a product, and then contract a bunch of foreign manufacturers to produce the parts for them, assemble the final product and ship it all over the world. What Apple does produce, is software for both consumer (OS X, iOS, iTunes, iLife, iWork, etc..) and professional (OS X, OS X Server, Final Cut, Aperture, Motion, Logic, etc..) markets.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

And it's like this for all electronics. In fact I don't know of any company that manufactures every component in their products.