Mac RAM Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Feb 19, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Hey, I now realise that I'm gonna have to upgrade my RAM to get the best performance when using Photoshop.

So I've been looking around and I've found this on Crucial.

[​IMG]

It won't let me link you, sorry.

And my MacBook Pro is from November 2011, so;

[​IMG]

So, would that RAM work?

Also, would I need to buy it as 2x4GB modules? Or could I just buy one and use it with one of my current 2GB ones?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

You would want to have the same RAM in each slot, so 2x2GB (current configuration) or 2x4GB (should you buy both 4GB sticks), but you don't want to mix and match.

4. tarponbeach macrumors member

5. simsaladimbamba

Why that is not generally advised, it worked for me and others to have two differing brands and modules. I ran one 2 GB and one 4 GB stick for two months, until I upgraded to 8 GB.

----------

The Core Duo MBs used DDR2 667 MHz RAM, the RAM the OP "linked" to is at least DDR3 RAM, compatible with C2D Unibody MacBook Pros.

6. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can find RAM cheaper on Amazon, I'd definitely go for that, but I'm not entirely sure what am looking for. It's been years since I got into the hardware side of stuff, and that was before I owned a Mac, so I dunno what's compatible.

I'm in the UK, and I couldn't find the RAM that tarponbeach linked me on Amazon UK, so will have a look around.

I'll probably just go for the 2x4GB if I can get it at a decent price.

This any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-upgr...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329677351&sr=1-1

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Try crucial they have a memory scanner (an app that you download and it finds the ram that fits) and the ram is pretty reasonably priced as-well

8. simsaladimbamba

9. tarponbeach macrumors member