Resolved Mac randomly turns on...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VideoBeagle, Aug 9, 2013.

1. VideoBeagle, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

My PowerMac G5, running Leopard, has begun randomly turning on.

It recently had a new(to it) power supply placed into it.

I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. Before the new supply, I almost never turned it off, and it had an eyeTV attached to it that would turn it on to record, but that isn't hooked up any more.

Is there a way (in the logs) to determine what event is causing the turn on (assuming it's a software thing and not the power supply randomly doing it)?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Is there a way (in the logs) to determine what event is causing the turn on (assuming it's a software thing and not the power supply randomly doing it)?"

There seems to be more than one place a "startup file" can be stored that will power-on the Mac for this reason or that.

I apologize for not being savvy enough to tell you where they all are, but I -DO- have a sure-fire way to prevent your Mac from starting up when you don't want it to. It is 100% guaranteed to work (there will never be a failure-to-work if procedure is followed).

That is, to do this:
    Buy a power strip or surge suppressor, and plug the Mac (and related peripherals) into it.
    When you're done using the Mac and want it powered off, do this:
    - power off the Mac
    - reach down and turn the power strip OFF

When you're ready to power- up, do this:
    - reach down and turn ON the power strip
    - press the Mac's power-on button.

Do this, and you will NEVER be bothered by the "unwanted power-on" problem again.
    (Note: this will not preclude the Mac from "starting on its own" once you turn the power strip on, but you want the Mac on anyway, right?)

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Copy and paste the following exact command into a Terminal.app window. It will tell you about any scheduled wake/sleep:
    Code:
    pmset -g sched
    Then copy and paste the complete output into a reply here.

4. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that confirmed something is set....
    Code:
    G5:~ Scav$ pmset -g sched
    Repeating power events:
      wakepoweron at 3:52PM every day
    Scheduled power events:
     [0]  wakeorpoweron at 08/12/13 15:52:00 by Repeating
    G5:~ Scav$ 

Now some googling to figure out how to solve it.
    Thanks for the helps

Edit: well, that was an easy google.
    I have no idea how that got set...It's maybe something I set years ago for some reason (before the above mention power supply replacement and purchase of my new iMac, I rarely powered off the G5.)

Thanks again!

Attached Files: