Mac recognizes Hitachi video cam, but iMovie doesn't

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by annk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm trying to help some friends figure out if their newly-purchased Hitachi DZ-GX 5060E video camera will work with their Intel MBP, running 10.4.9. Here's a link to the camera's spec sheet:

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/brochures/en_GB/dzgx5060e_datasheet.pdf

In the store, the salesperson assured them it would. At home, the computers will recognize the camera as a peripheral, but iMovie doesn't see it. The file can be imported to the HD via the 3rd party app that came with the program (Image Mixer), then to iPhoto movie (iPhoto 0.0.8), and then into iMovie, but this is too clumsy.

Is there any hope, or do they have to return it?

The owner of the camera will jump into the thread with more info if needed.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

You can always just put the DVD in the computer itself instead of attaching the camera, and then try using MPEG Streamclip to convert it to a DV stream. That is what the 3 step process is doing above ( well, it's what it should be doing anyway )

Is there a strong reason you bought a DVD camera? They're actually more difficult to edit with, and are lower quality than DV video tape.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You will need iMovie'08 to import footage directly from the camcorder to iMovie. And even then, not all DVD-camcorders are supported.

alternatively, you can finalize the DVD and import the footage off of the DVD using something like Handbrake ... but you will lose video quality and if you have a slot-loading DVD drive, you'll jam it with the small DVDs.

ft

4. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It's one of those tiny DVDs, I think, so they'd need an adaptor to put it in the computer.

I don't think they realised the problems with that type of camera when they bought it.

I think they'll end up taking it back, they want to import directly into iMovie.

Thanks for your responses, guys. :)

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm sorry they had so much trouble. Tell them to get a Standard Definition MiniDV camera (tape based ) instead, or if they want HD resolutions, an HDV camera. Before they go looking at HDV cameras though, have them do some research about what they need.

For instance if you are going to output to DVD in the end, or some resolution lower than NTSC, you're wasting your time with HDV. Of course if you think you'll export to higher res in the future, that's a different story.

Just as a rule of thumb for right now: stay away from Harddrive cameras and DVD cameras, or anything that say AVCHD on it. Camera with these codecs and interfaces are for whatever reason, very inconsistent on Macs right now.

I'm sure you can find some good advice on the right camera to buy here. Camcorderinfo.com is also good, if you can figure out their navigation and have the patience to learn alot of new terminology! They have extremely detailed reviews.

Good luck!

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks very much, I've sent a link to this thread on to them, I'm sure they'll figure out what to do now from what's been suggested here. :)