Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
When I plug my iPhone into my computer, it is recognized in System Profiler. (screenshot). But, it isn't charging when it's plugged in. Also, it doesn't show up in iTunes or iPhoto. Basically, the computer sees it, but they refuse to talk at all. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've already restarted both devices.

Running all the latest software on both.

Also, I would try re-installing the firmware, but it doesn't even show up in iTunes.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
If no body answer you mate, i would just take it back to wherever you bought for repair. I never heard about this problem before. Possibly there is problem in the iphone dock or the cable. I had similar problem where the iphone won't synchronize with iphone, however it was charging. I changed the apple cable and the problem was fixed.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I'm having this problem with an original iPhone from October 2007, so it's well out of warranty. :)

I've tried using different cables, and when I use the same cable to plug it into AC power, it charges just fine. I tried a different cable on my Mac and it works fine.

I'm thinking that this is more a problem on my Mac than on my iPhone... I don't think it's providing enough power to the iPhone, even though the laptop's battery is fully charged and it's plugged in.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Well, some bad news for me!

I put it into recovery mode, and it was detected. I tried to re-install the firmware, but it won't re-install - it keeps giving me error 1611. I googled that, and from what I found it's either the radio, the sim card, or the battery. Gonna still search on MR for more suggestions on how to fix that.

So, basically, my iPhone is dead now. :(

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
There are people who have got past error 1611. It's quite possible that it's just a problem between your Macbook's USB and the iPhone.

If possible, try restoring it on a Windows desktop.

Also Apple's webpage suggests some troubleshooting steps for this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I think it is a good idea, see if it will be detected if you connect it to another laptop. if it does work, then it is your mac, if not then it is your iphone :cool:

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
It's fixed!!

I had to re-install iTunes and put the phone in DFU mode, not the regular restore mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.