Mac recognizes TV but TV displays no signal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick19412, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Nick19412 macrumors newbie

So I've heard this problem has been plaguing a few other people so I think it's time to make a post about it...

Background:
    I have a 1st gen Macbook Pro and am using the DVI for a cable that converts to a VGA up to a converter on the tv that converts it to a DVI-D connection.

(MBP -> DVI -> VGA -> DVI-D -> TV)

The TV is a Samsung HPP3761X.

Problem:
    When I run the cable from the computer, the computer recognizes the TV in the settings panel and shows you the options but the TV simply shows a "No Signal" banner after a few seconds.

Already Tried:
    -Adjusting Resolutions via settings
    -Booting in safe mode
    -Adjusting resolution in safe mode
    -Restarting with and without TV connected

Any ideas?

2. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

I just use regular VGA for my samsung TV and it works fine. I'd try a DVI->HDMI cable, since it sounds like the problem is all of the adapters.

Go onto monoprice.com and buy an hdmi cable and dvi-hdmi adapter for under $10, or you can go to best buy and spend $100+ ;). There's no difference in quality.

3. Nick19412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as my luck would be, the TV has no HDMI input :eek:

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why are you converting from DVI to VGA and back to DVI? Just use a straight DVI cable (making sure it's DVI-D on both ends), and it should work just fine.

jW

5. Nick19412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheaper solution.

I already had a DVI to VGA cord on hand from the other second monitor for the computer so I decided it would be better to buy a converter for it.

It might be the source of the problem but I have doubts that it's simply a conversion problem. My friend has the same issue yet, he's using a direct DVI to DVI-D cable.

6. Kashika macrumors regular

Does your first gen MBP have two graphic cards?

I had GFXcardstatus set on Integrated only. My TV wouldn't give a display either. Putting it back on discrete or dynamic solved that problem.
    It's easy to forget that setting should you use it.

7. Nick19412 thread starter macrumors newbie

The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1600. So, there's only one card I would guess.

When checking that I noticed that the resolutions were different though... The screen has a 1440 x 900 but the tv has a 1920 x by 1080 @ 60 Hz.
    I was going to try changing the resolution again to see if I could match that but found there was no setting for it in preferences. If that means anything